It sounds bizarre but I want to try it.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Fords been doing it for a long time already, emulate engine noise through the speakers to make it sound peppier.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

They also put plastic tubing and piping to direct the exhaust in the noisiest way possible. I remember when I heard they were doing the sound thing it was in conjunction with a plastic motor component that was effectively shaped like a saxophone that was supposed to produce a superior engine sound.

• BallShapedMan@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I hate that too!

I’ve seen a few gas cars that do that and videos that talk about how to disable it. I feel like I’d rather just a better exhaust. My car has a variable exhaust that overrides my choice at lower speeds and it annoys me.

• loobkoob@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Fake engine noise is important for safety reasons. If people can’t hear cars, there are far more incidents. A lot of time and effort has gone into sound design for electric vehicles so people can hear when they’re accelerating, slowing down, etc.

• theyoyomaster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The systems they’re talking about are sounds played over the stereo for people inside the car to think the engine is louder/sportier than it is. Pedestrians don’t hear it at all. I unplugged mine at the dealer before I ever turned the car on and have never been disappointed by the actual sound of the engine.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

There is a small use case. If the vehicle was so well insulated you couldn’t hear the engine from inside, being able to hear the engine rev up and down would be beneficial for the driver.

• theyoyomaster@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

That is not the case with my car. It is already legitimately sporty and the engine makes plenty of noise. Ford just decided to “enhance” it.