• yarn@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I hate to admit it, but it’s beginning to look like resistance really is futile. Too many people just don’t care about EEE, and communities are too fragile to prevent the embrace, like the whole c/android incident from yesterday.

It seems like this is just going to be something that happens every once in a while. A rich douchebag comes in and absorbs a large chunk of the fediverse then cuts away and takes a bunch of shitposters with him. Then the core lemmy community has to rebuild the fediverse from scratch, and some other douchebag lines up to do the same thing.

I guess on the bright side, maybe the core group of lemmy users will harden their fediverse each time a rich douchebag EEEs it. Like the core fediverse learns something new with each EEE. Then maybe after like a decade and 3 or 4 rich douchebags EEEing the place, then the fediverse will have fully hardened to some form that makes it impervious to rich douchebags.

• yarn@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

!android@lemmy.world was the 15th largest community in the fediverse with 19k subscribers, and then the mods conspired with the r/android mods to lock that community and move it to !android@lemdro.id. All of this was done with no input from the users subscribed there.

That of course led to a flame thread yesterday, and a whole bunch of debate about whether !android@lemmy.world should be reopened or not. It appears to be locked still, so not sure how that debate ended.

But I said it shows how fragile communities are because that was about as blatantly obvious of a community snatch as there possibly could be. Like 10 mods got in a room and said “let’s just move this huge community to a new instance” and it worked. There’s no way we’re going to stop Meta if we can’t even stop that.

• ChiefOBrien@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah that was sending off a lot alarms in my head. Idk it’s just so disappointing to see but lemmy is still strong for now

• hitmyspot@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

How does that work from a user perspective? If they were subscribed to android@lemmy.world , would the subscription transfer over to the new community without them realising, or would they need to manually subscribe?

I don’t have a problem with communities being able to move. The users should be notified and have the option to transfer too or leave. Over time, the values may diverge.

I also think the power should rest with the mods to do so. However, it would be wise for them to consult the community. For larger communities, you’ll likely never have consensus, so someone needs to be able to decide. If any instance became hostile or overrun by undesirables, moving would make sense.

I imagine the current threat from meta will be divisive and some communities values may differ from the instance they are on.

• 𝔼𝕩𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕒@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just a little more data, friend. I just need a nibble. A lil taste. I just need a little bit more and I’ll never need it again. Please friend just a speckle of data?

• laxe@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ll always stay on Lemmy and there’s no way for Zuck to win me over.