I just saw someone saying that lemmy will get better once we all move on and stop talking about reddit. So in the spirit of things, tell me a random story from your life. Something happy, something sad, special, mundane, recent, or a far off memory. What is something that happened to you that pops into your head?

• FatalChessInjury@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I will preface this story by saying that this is the absolute truth. You can choose to not believe it if you like, and I don’t blame you if you do, it’s the internet after all and everyone lies on the internet. I can’t provide any sources or back up what I’m saying, but I am telling you that this story is 100% real and true.

Back in 2014, I went to Japan on my own for 3 weeks, not long enough but it was all I could afford at the time. As part of that trip, I stayed in a monastery in Koyasan, south of Osaka. The second day of my stay there was my 28th birthday and I spent the entire day surrounded by incredibly beautiful temples, haunting graveyards and utter serenity. At this point in my life, I had huge sideburns. This is relevant later on in the story.

Around lunchtime, I got a sandwich and noticed a bit of a hullabaloo near one of the temples, so being a nosy tourist I wandered over to see what was happening. Walking up the steps of the temple there was a small crowd of people, clearly waiting for someone, so I decided to wait with them.

A few minutes go by and some obvious security personnel walk up the stairs followed by a small Asian man in yellow and maroon robes. This man was very familiar, but I couldn’t place him until he got closer.

It was His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet.

I was absolutely floored. I was maybe 3 meters away from the head of one of the major world religions, on my goddamn birthday no less. He went along the front of the crowd of people, nodding and smiling and shaking the occasional hand. Until he got to me. Now I’m a 185cm tall 120kg white guy, to say that I stood out in Japan is an understatement. When His Holiness reached me in the line, he looked up at me, made direct eye contact, put the backs of his hands to his cheeks and wiggled his fingers, then burst out laughing.

The fucking Dalai Lama made fun of my sideburns on my birthday at a temple in Japan.

Its possibly the best and weirdest thing that has ever happened to me.

• anxietysloth@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?

Seriously though, I choose to believe it. That’s hilarious/awesome!

• 2deck@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Bravo! Great story. Shame you got rid of the burns… but probably for the best.

• FatalChessInjury@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thank you! It’s my favourite story to tell from my journey around Japan, second only to when I almost got into an altercation with someone who was clearly in the Yakuza by accidentally walking into them and spilling beer on them. But that’s for another time.

And yes, I do not miss the sideburns.