I just saw someone saying that lemmy will get better once we all move on and stop talking about reddit. So in the spirit of things, tell me a random story from your life. Something happy, something sad, special, mundane, recent, or a far off memory. What is something that happened to you that pops into your head?

• tallwookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

my first car was a 1977 volkswagen bug, got a few fun stories based around that car.

I’m a bit taller than everyone else (legally 6’10" but only because thats where the measuring stick stopped when I got my license way back when, I’m actually an inch and change taller) - my dad got it for me as a joke when I was 15 (was 6.5’ then), a joke and a father/son project, to see if I could actually fit in and drive it.

it was a nice car, eventually - learned how to stick weld because I had to move the mounting rails for the drivers seat back 8 inches just to get my knees under the dash, and put a tiny 10" steering wheel on it as my knees were still in the way. there wasnt enough space behind me when I was driving unless you were really small (managed to fit 5 girls in the back once - a take on “how many people can fit in a phone booth”) as I had to lean back quite a bit. the sunroof was useful, wasnt able to sit up straight without it. learned how to do basic upholstery work to make new seat covers, how to install a windshield using dish soap and a rope, learned how to paint metal. just setting up the basics of worldbuilding here for my story.

so, I had a volkswagen bug and the battery compartment is actually under the rear seat on the passenger side of the car - it’s not an individual seat but a wide platform you could fit 2, maybe 3 people on - the interior of the rear seat’s cushion is comprised of “rubberized horsehair” (really) and supported by metal springs. now, normally that wouldnt be a problem but one of my friends was a hefty guy and one day he was sitting in the back, on the passenger side… I dont remember where we were going but eventually he started complaining that his ass was really hot. I was giving him a hard time about it and then I smelled smoke - and then the back seat caught on fire. while he was sitting on it.

my buddy couldnt really move over behind the driver’s seat because I had to lean it back at a 50+ degree angle just to be able to safely see out of the windshield & fit behind the wheel. so he’s back there trying to put out a fire while I’m desperately trying to find a place to pull over. it took a minute but I did and then we ripped the back seat out of the car and let it smolder on the side of the road. I think we put out the embers with Snapple tea or clear Pepsi. once the back seat had stopped smoking we realized what the problem was - his weight had exceeded the weight limit for the springs and one of those springs had made contact with the positive terminal of the car battery, causing a short - which then led to the spring arc welding/partially melting and catching the upholstery on fire.

ultimately, he decided to walk home (singed pants and all) and I loaded up the crispy back seat and went home to make some modifications to the battery compartment - added a thick wood lid to separate the seat’s springs from the battery. after that, no one wanted to sit in my back seat again - and I cant say I blame them ;)

got other stories too but its getting late. enjoy!

• 2deck@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thankyou for that tall story!

My first car was a small front wheel drive sedan. A suzuki ignis. We’d drive to a nearby take away restaurant parking lot, reverse the rear wheels onto serving trays. Until the trays wore out, it was tokyo drift at 5km/h… Fun times!