Norway has succeeded in getting the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) to make permanent and extend across Europe its ban on Meta (Facebook’s parent company) harvesting user data for targeted ads on Facebook and Instagram.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

They could just run contextual ads for much less effort and privacy violations, and still get the same or better result.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s how advertising worked for literally the entire history of advertising before the modern internet. You put ads for car stuff on the cars website. You don’t need to build an entire dossier on me. If I’m looking at the star wars wiki, you can be pretty confident that I’m interested in sci-fi and fantasy. You don’t need to spend billions of dollars tracking me to know that.

This is not an expert opinion so I could be wrong, but I think it would be a better system. Simpler to implement, less stalking, less “oops we didn’t show any house ads to black people” potential.

• nutsack@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

these companies spend a lot of money and computation power on intelligent targeting systems because they are in fact better from a capitalist perspective

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Maybe. I guess it makes it easier for Google to sell many different ads in the same time/space. Still sucks for everyone else though.

• ArghZombies@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

But people advertise with Google precisely because they know the ads will be targeted at relevent people. If Google just sell loads of ad slots that just show to random users then that’s just a waste of money. If I’m selling motorbike helmets I don’t want to waste my money having Google show those ads to 60 year old men who only travel by bus or golfers or people who use wheelchairs.

Google won’t just sell loads of ads here, they’ll totally change their business model to something closer to the targetting approach.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

You target the ads based on the content of the page rather than the identity of the viewer. That’s how tv radio and print ads work.