They installed fibre optic Internet in my neighbourhood a while back, and this is what the cable ducts look like. Also interesting to see how these get installed, with a sort of huge needle/drill on tracks.

• tortoise@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They run through boxes dug into the ground and that’s where a connection is made using electrical arcs to weld the two ends of glass together and keep them housed. Then the business end tends to go to a telecom building either directly if it’s a small town or through their current system the copper was on.

It’s been a few years I’m a little sketchy on the details obviously lol but thought I might as well jump in the discussion.

• SnowGlobal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Right on, thanks for the info! I consider this a moment of great success for young Lemmy- on r/ regardless of the topic there always seemed to be someone with experience who would show up and share some of their knowledge. And this feels like the same thing here in a fiber cable laying thread. Cheers!

• tortoise@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They’re used to be; now it’s just puns and jokes for the most part. I loved that about reddit and I hope Lemmy thrives in this way too