Please understandnim asking this question from a genuine place. I dont want the quora answer, i want the tech savvy, security expert minds of my fellow lemmings. If thats ok?

What happens to this data? What can/do they do with it? and why are so many people concerned about google tracking them?

Do i as an average user need to be concerned?

If so, What sorts of things can i do to avoid being tracked? Preferably without too much comprimise.

• magikarpet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Well the other crazy thing with voting is how narrow the margins are.

It doesn’t have to convince everyone. Only a small percentage across the country mixed with a few people in key locations and you can change everything.

• Quetzalcutlass@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Miami-Dade and Palm Beach says hello. A 537 vote margin in a few Florida counties decided the 2000 US Presidential Election.

One wonders how different the world would be today if George W. Bush didn’t get that first term.

(Fun fact: the usual chicanery to depress Democratic votes also happened in 2000 - voter roll purges, roadblocks in Democratic areas, too few voter areas in cities… In many ways it was a trial run for the bullshit Republicans pull now)