• ForestOrca@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m not really sure why Russian popular opinion is relevant in this case.

Also, “Surveying public opinion in Russia is complicated, with the Kremlin’s war propaganda and fierce repression of anti-war sentiment obscuring the real picture.”

• SHITPOSTING_ACCOUNT@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

That doesn’t really affect people though.

30% or 50% inflation would. Rationing would. Power outages would. Having to go to air raid shelters every night would.

None of that is happening. The losses are downplayed, hidden, and the people sent to war are usually from regions or population groups with little influence. No wonder the population supports the war.

The government also isn’t losing anything important: they don’t care about the people, the weapon systems being lost are outdated scrap, and neither the luxuries of the elites nor the manufacturing and infrastructure inside Russia are being hit. Why would they stop?

• Ummdustry@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

It does effect some people (I.e. People with variable rate mortgages)

But yeah, overall sanctions are completely insufficient. Partly because they are incomplete, partly because Russia is a massive country able to supply almost all of her own necessities.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

China. Eventually the russian losses will present too tempting a target to China, which is already seeking deeper ties with the -stan countries. Also, China still wants Vladivostok back.

• copacetic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Also, most Ukrainians against ending Russian war if captured land not returned. Thus, the killing continues.

• magnetosphere@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’m against it, too. I’m definitely not happy about it, but I think the only thing worse than the war continuing would be to give up and reward Putin for his war crimes. He must not be allowed to keep any Ukrainian territory, including Crimea.

If there was a solution that didn’t involve further bloodshed, then great, but that doesn’t seem possible right now.

• Quittenbrot@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Feeling strong and important. Something that is apparently especially important when you are neither.

• fne8w2ah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The russkie serfs ain’t gonna feel anything as long as they are perpetually brainwashed.