• iopq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I was homeschooled up until 12. I went to college at 15. That’s about all I’ll say about it.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Technically it’s a junior college program because I still had some high school requirements until I was 16 and took the high school proficiency exam. After passing that I did not have to attend any classes in the program.

At 17 I transferred to a state university as a junior because I accumulated enough credits in the community college.

• GardeningSadhu@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

thank you for saying it! good homeschool experiences tend to be under rated. Not all homeschool kids have religious nutbags or unschooling types for parents.

• yaaaaayPancakes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Of course not all homeschooling is bad. But these days it does seem that homeschooling tends to skew towards the ultra-conservative MAGA Jesus crowd.

• tinkeringidiot@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Yes, but also no. Home school gets some seriously unfair treatment in the media, but living it every day myself I can confirm there are quite a few home schooling parents that absolutely earn that criticism.

One of the hardest parts of home schooling my own kids is finding other home schoolers to meet up with that aren’t frigging nuts.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Eh, even if the parents are educating, the social development of such folks as I have seen is horribly stunted, and stunted during some key formative years. Doesn’t help when the parents are telling the kids they are so smart that no school could hope to teach them right.

Even if you acquire knowledge, life can suck if you can’t deal with people.

• tinkeringidiot@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

As a home school parent, socialization is really the hardest and most expensive part. We use an online, self-paced version of the state curriculum (provided by the state, so yes it fully “counts”) so that part is pretty easy. But keeping them involved in communities outside the home, with other kids and adults, is a constant effort. They can finish a whole week of curriculum work for all their core subjects in 8 hours or so (hence the online self-paced school), but all the extra curriculars and meetups that keep them socially active consume most of the rest of the week (and many of them are pretty expensive).

Home schooling is not for the faint of heart, and it’s certainly not the easy button some people treat it as.

• GardeningSadhu@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Opinions are like assholes my friend, everyone’s got one but we don’t need to share them just for the hell of it… you do you, but this was a dumb thing to say so i’m going to file it with all the rest of the dumb shit people say. have a nice day

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Tuition paid using the money you stole from the public education system.

How many poorer kids do you think that money would have helped get into college that didn’t go so you could at 15?

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Every student not in public education is money not in public education, literally every state that permits home schooling sees to that via those god forsaken voucher programs.

• Mobiuthuselah@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

I’m not in favor of the voucher programs, but you’re diluting the opposition to them by claiming some incredibly misinformed bullshit. Just seems funny that we’re talking about education systems, and yours seems to have failed you.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

The voucher program hands parents the money the schools would have gotten for having their child enrolled and lets them spend it on a private school with an agenda or a homeschooling program with an agenda instead.

Literally it exists entirely to take money that should have gone to the public school system and letting all the rich and white families siphon it off to totally not segregated private school classrooms and totally not creationist and quiverfull homeschool programs.

If ya don’t believe me just look at the rate of adoption of these kinds of programs and enrollment of rich and white kids in these kinds of programs pre and post Brown V Board.

These systems were concocted by segregationists for segregationists to maintain educational segregation and inequality.

• Mobiuthuselah@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

This feels like you’re a bit defensive about your understanding of the subject. Somehow you’ve been led to believe that this affects every kid not in public school. That’s demonstrably false.

• impiri@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

We homeschool in North Carolina and get exactly zero dollars for it. You’re correct in general about the terrible effect that vouchers have on public schooling but incorrect about it being applied to homeschooling. I don’t know if it’s different in other states.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s literally what they’re doing, if you think it’s dumb take it up with the dumb politicians who have it out for education that’s legally required to not teach kids the world’s 6000 years old.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I would have spent the same money going to college anyway? I just did it earlier, this post makes no sense