• Resonosity@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

In my experience as an electrical engineer, this kind of thinking, 99% non-maximum and 1% maximum, is how electrical infrastructure is built too. Conductors and transformers and other equipment are sized to the historical max + a safety factor so that the electrical system will work even on the rainiest of rainy days. It has to do with reliability and resilience.

But parking lots don’t need to be super reliable or resilient… Bridges and buildings definitely, but roads and lots literally just cover land. You don’t have the same risk as your do with structures or the grid. Most get repaved every few years anyways.

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Not to mention how with store fronts you don’t even really need pavement gravel when used gets the job done and it lets rain water drain away through it and when the place goes bankrupt the lot slowly becomes a park back in my home state of Vermont there’s a lot of places that have simple dirt parking lots

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

In my experience as an electrical engineer I size things like that and everyone fucking argues with me. I even have a document for it that basically says

“Please sign that you have been informed that what you are doing will cause a fire and you were informed of that fact by email”

And then announce that I am not proceeding until the document is signed. So far no one has taken me up on it.