fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

This is objectively false.

Habeck says in the video that he has seen a terrifying growth in antisemitism in Germany where members of the Jewish faith are scared to leave the house on their own or publicly display religious symbols due to open hostility. He talks about a responsibility of Germans due to the central role in the holocaust but also how the Islamic world has not distanced itself enough from the atrocities committed by the hamas. He even remarked that one doesn’t have to agree with some of Israel’s politics - even explicitly naming the settlements in the Gaza / West Bank region - but that this should not be any excuse for antisemitism.

I will say again what I said in another comment - The video is an appeal to human decency and respect. Shame on you for willfully and stubbornly ignoring that and derailing the conversation to incite further hate.

• yojimbo@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yes, life in Gaza is life in poverty without prospects for the future. Yes, the settler movement in the West Bank is fomenting discord and robs the Palestinians of hope and rights and, increasingly, lives. And the suffering of the civilian population now at war is a fact, a terrible fact.

You are right and I am wrong I haven’t read the whole video. I am ashamed. Insert whichever invective you like - I have few. There is no excuse.

• zipfelwurster@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I respect you for admitting you were wrong. That takes courage.

Also maybe it wasn’t smart leaving that part out of my reply.

• S_204@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Thanks for acknowledging your mistakes. We should all learn from this post.

• zipfelwurster@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Unfortunately it’s hard to tell trolls apart from real people in here.

It somewhat reminds me of the height of covid in online discussions - people turn off their brains and fall back on basic emotions and empty phrases.

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Doesn’t matter if it is his actual opinion or not. You still helped to clarify disinformation that someone might’ve just believed.

• dumdum666@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I have dealt with those people quite often on Lemmy.ml and even Lemmy.world

They are not here to discuss. They are here to spread hate and do their virtue signaling to Hamas apologists - because most of the time they are Hamas supporters themselves.

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

He’s clarifying blatant disinformation (something the Greens suffering a lot of thanks to various propaganda campaigns against them). A lot of people might read it and take their comment for granted.

• quarry_coerce248
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I haven’t seen it yet, so I don’t know if he said more than what you write.

What you describe is that he asks of Muslims everywhere to identify with Hamas and then to distance themselves from them. Does he address growing anti-muslim racism? Because from what you write it indeed sounds as if he appeals to human decency towards one side while ignoring the other.

No one except antisemites blames Jews for what Israel does, but on the other hand the Islamic world is blamed for Hamas terror and asked to distance themselves from it. Those are double standards.

• dumdum666@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

So instead of writing long texts, you maybe should watch the video instead of accusing him of being „one sided“?

• quarry_coerce248
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Lovely idea and guess what, in the meantime I did. That doesn’t change anything about the other comment’s content and that it depicts one-sidedness.

The speech was slightly better than the summary in the comment I replied to. I have different remarks and criticism of the speech now, but I don’t really want to discuss those.