I use Fedora 38, it’s stable, things just work, and the software is up-to-date.

• Anolutheos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use Mint. As a beginner the Windows-like feel is convenient for me but once I get the hang of it I could see myself trying something else

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is what I recommend for Linux newbs. And they can stay with it if they’re happy with it. It’s also a decently competent Linux distribution which is a hell of a bonus.

• Maurice Milligan@mastodon.ie
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@Anolutheos @Lolors17 I use Mint Debian edition. I got fed up opening my laptop and having to update when MS said so, so switched to Ubuntu, then Mint, the LMDE and have stayed for 4 years. It’s not exciting, cutting edge, etc but neither am I! It just works all the time. Updates are easy and everything is boringly reliable - I love it!

• Nuuskis@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hopefully LMDE6 is a game changer for the most popular first Linux distro. If the CosmicOS by System76 doesn’t win that title.

My grandparents were 1,5 years with Mint but LMDE5 has now been for 10 months and it is awesome. Literally 0 issues since day 0 whereas Win7 and Win10 caused constant headaches for me over the phone.

• Nuuskis@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Unfortunately I’m not. I’m running numerous Thinkpads until System76 releases their in-house produced Virgo laptop with hot-swappable mechanical keys and open source bios (Coreboot). It’ll also have the trackpoint from Thinkpads.