U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is warning Israel that it risks destroying an eventual possibility for peace unless it acts swiftly to improve humanitarian conditions in Gaza for Palestinian civilians as it intensifies its war against Hamas.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

All of that does not make it an illegitimate target under international law. If someone shoots your friend and runs into a building and you strike that building, you cannot claim that you got that target until you see a body. That’s just how assessments in a Western fires process work. It also provides more legitimacy when you do say something.

If you can come up with a more valid way to conduct assessments, by all means provide it. Israel wants to assess their targets as much as you want them to.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I think people have a really warped view of war on the internet. That’s exactly what any army on earth would do including and especially Hamas. Only the United States and Israel are known to not. Coalition partners literally think we are odd for taking civilian considerations into account as much as we do. You can find tens thousands of examples of this from the current war in Ukraine, ISIS fight, and any other going back to WWII.

I don’t know what to tell you. You are just simply wrong about this. War is just bad overall. That doesn’t make it a war crime. That has a pretty high burden of proof. You can run this through any military lawyer of any military. I know more than my fair share and work closely with them.

• ToAllPointsWest@mastodon.cloud
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

@galloog1 No, I’ve actually been to war, twice. So I’m good. Israel isn’t taking civilians into consideration, they’re racking up the body count by intentionally using the wrong weapons in a civilian populace.
          Oh and that’s in ADDITION to cutting off water, fuel, and medical supplies to the CIVILIANS
          SO you’re trying to bullshit people who now know that’s what you’re trying to do.
          Israel is LITERALLY making more “terrorists” than they’re killing with their disproportionate use of force