U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is warning Israel that it risks destroying an eventual possibility for peace unless it acts swiftly to improve humanitarian conditions in Gaza for Palestinian civilians as it intensifies its war against Hamas.

• AnarchoDakosaurus@toast.ooo
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Of course not, but Biden admin is panicking because if the Israeli’s keep this going eventually the de facto regional war that is going on will become a de jure one.

They are pretty much begging Isreal to not erode any more of their legitimacy in the middle east and globally. It is not working.

• sirboozebum@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

United States influence in the middle east is finished and won’t recover for a generation.

The Isrealis don’t listen to them. The Arabs no longer listen to them. Other world powers (China and Russia) are increasing their influence.

It’s over.

• Aleric@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Good riddance, the United States was a shit hegemon, although its potential replacements are shit too.

• mlg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

tbh I wish at least one president would try intimidation by using all that free defense aid as some major leverage.

Of course that would never happen because presidents take good care of their respective lobbyists, even if its abundantly clear they will be losing the next election.

• sirboozebum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

George Bush (the elder) did put an arms embargo against Isreal.

Clinton attacked him for it during the 1992 election.

• LadyAutumn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Didn’t they release a document this week being like “Yeah we want all Palestinians to get the fuck out of Israel, they can go to Canada or some shit”?

I mean it’s no surprise. They have never been subtle about their genocidal intentions.

• roguetrick@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Biden’s positioning himself to be an “ally to Israel” but not to Bibi. Bibi’s a sinking ship. They don’t actually care about anyone in Gaza though.

• badbytes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Israel never wanted peace, only genocide. Sad they wish to eradicate all others.

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Here is a list of peace offers which would grant the Palestinians a country of their own, they refused all of them

1937 - Peel commission, rejected

1947 - Partition resolution, rejected

2000 - Camp David, rejected

2001 - Taba, rejected. Arafat starts the second intifada and a year later changes his mind.

2008 - Olmert offer, rejected

Hamas have tried to agree to boundaries Despite media attempts to portray it as a new Hamas charter, it is not. The new ‘policy document’ accepts the creation of a Palestinian state in 1967 borders, but still rejects Israel and claims its territory. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39775103

Here are some other noteworthy peace meeting or proposals from Israel to the rest if the Arab world, which were rejected

1919: Arabs of Palestine refused nominate representatives to the Paris Peace Conference.

1920: San Remo conference decisions, rejected.

1922: League of Nations decisions, rejected.

1937: Peel Commission partition proposal, rejected.

1938: Woodhead partition proposal, rejected

1947: UN General Assembly partition proposal (UNGAR 181), rejected.

1949: Israel’s outstretched hand for peace (UNGAR 194), rejected.

1967: Israel’s outstretched hand for peace (UNSCR 242), rejected.

1978: Begin/Sa’adat peace proposal, rejected (except for Egypt).

1994: Rabin/Hussein peace agreement, rejected by the rest of the Arab League (except for Egypt).

1995: Rabin’s Contour-for-Peace, rejected.

2000: Barak/Clinton peace offer, rejected.

2001: Barak’s offer at Taba, rejected.

2005: Sharon’s peace gesture, withdrawal from Gaza, rejected.

2008: Olmert/Bush peace offer, rejected.

2009 to 2021: Netanyahu’s repeated invitations to peace talks, rejected.

2014: Kerry’s Contour-for-Peace, rejected.

Not gonna link Trump’s imbecilic peace plan as an example.

Here is a list of peace offers the Palestinians the governing body of palestinians offered to Israel -

None

• erranto@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Unfortunately the populas still believes in Press declaration and official statements. while what is being discussed and agreed behind the curtains is the Total opposite of that.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

TEL AVIV (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned Israel on Friday that it risks destroying an eventual possibility for peace unless it acts swiftly to improve humanitarian conditions in Gaza for Palestinian civilians as it intensifies its war against Hamas.

“There will be no partners for peace if they’re consumed by humanitarian catastrophe and alienated by any perceived indifference to their plight,” Blinken said, even as the call for a temporary pause without the release by Hamas of Israeli hostages was swiftly rejected by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said Israel would be “going with full steam ahead.”

The comments to reporters in Tel Aviv, following meetings with Netanyahu and other senior officials, amounted to some of the Biden administration’s strongest warnings to Israel since the brutal Oct. 7 rampage by Hamas that killed more than 1,400 civilians and soldiers.

He described being moved by additional video he’d been shown in Israel by the Hamas militants who carried out the attacks, including a father killed in front of his young children.

In his first public speech since the war began, Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said his group had “entered the battle” with the past weeks’ unprecedented cross-border fighting.

But the complexity of the situation — and of Blinken’s push for Israel to consider a pause — was laid bare on Friday when Netanyahu, after leaving the meeting with the American official, ruled out the possibility of a cease-fire “that doesn’t include a return of our hostages,” referring to some 240 people Hamas abducted during its attack.

The original article contains 698 words, the summary contains 259 words. Saved 63%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• fubo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Hamas could begin by releasing, for civilian humanitarian use, the fuel and supplies they have previously stolen from hospitals and aid groups.

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

His comment is typical isreali bullshit propaganda. Block water,food and electricity and everything else then blame Palestinians and their freedom fighters for it. It defies logic and yet if it didn’t work they wouldn’t spew it everywhere.

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

I seriously hope. They even started killing journalists to hide their atrocities and then blaming the other side . They don’t even try to hide their bullshiting anymore.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I saw the (scumbag asshole) Israeli spokesman Mark Regev on the news, he literally tried to make out that the ambulances were Hamas. He said something like “We’ve seen them build infrastructure underneath hospitals, is it hard to believe they would use ambulances too?”

Edit: The clip in question: https://youtu.be/m88g6POq-MA?t=1400

Channel 4 have really been on point throughout all this. Asking difficult questions from the start, and I’ve even seen some things on their programs before I’ve seen them online (not that I have my finger right on the pulse, but still).

Edit2: The whole segment is really worth a watch tbh. I saw bits I’d missed earlier when it was live. In particular, the observation that, while there have been large protests in Arab nations, they’re perhaps not as big as protests in the past and in fact there have in some cases been even larger protests in Western countries.

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

This is like when the US would designate any fighting-age men they killed to be “enemy combatants.” If you define the enemy as anyone you kill, you can go ahead and kill anyone while claiming to hit only the enemy. In this case Israel seems only to need to say that the enemy might have been somewhere near the people it killed.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Your source literally does not identify that as an identified or even unidentified aid convoy. You have posted disinformation on other topical posts and I’m starting to think that you are working on behalf of a state level actor.

Folks, before you elevate posts that conform to your biases, at least validate that they are true.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Israel, who has much better intelligence, claims that Hamas is using ambulances for their logistics.

It comes down to who you believe. I know that one side has a better track record.

If Hamas is using ambulances for their logistics, as they have been known to do, striking it is not a war crime. They actively do this because it looks worse for Israel.

The use of ambulances for logistics is a war crime. What a boob.

• ToAllPointsWest@mastodon.cloud
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

@galloog1 @TinyPizza If you believe Israel in any way, shape or form, you’re probably horribly naive. We’re talking about the same people who are actively conducting genocide against the Palestinians, on top of the apartheid regime. They already inflicted on them. Are Hamas terrorists, yes, is Israel worse? Yes

• galloog1@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

I believe Israel because I’ve worked with them and seen these things myself. I also know information war and Israel is bound by the constraints of a Western Democratic approach whereas Hamas is not.

One is inherently more trustworthy and you can validate it quite simply based on how quickly they lay blame. Israel checks with their force to validate information and protects it’s information sources. Hamas simply immediately claims that every militant was a civilian, every explosion was an airstrike, and only walks it back when people get called out by name as dead.

Any military force is not perfect. War crimes happen in any force with Soldiers on the ground. Israel’s targeting provides multiple sources of validation and checks to ensure there is a legitimate target before conducting a strike and they can take civilian considerations into account. Soldiers on the ground do not have that same level of control inherently. Hamas includes targeting civilians in their orders though so there is that.

• TinyPizza@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

“of course I didn’t commit that murder, those people all blew themselves up! And I should know, I’m an explosives expert!” Said the mad bomber. ^And this guy trusts them because he literally comes out and says he’s worked for them before. Doesn’t a crystal ball to see what a malformed boob this boot licker is. Thanks for wasting everyone’s time.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

I never said I worked for them. You make a lot of claims and provide little to no evidence that actually directly supports them. It also doesn’t take a crystal ball to see that all your claims follow the exact narratives of Hamas. You are also the one posting the most about it on this platform indicating that spreading propaganda may be part of your professional work.

I’ll just keep calling you out on it. It doesn’t feel like wasting time to me.

• TinyPizza@kbin.socialOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Here you go, Fuck Hamas, they can all eat shit and die. Now you go.

Keep chasing that tail boob.

• Jaderick@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m not sure what your problem is with the article.

Both sides say an ambulance convoy was hit by Israel. Israel says Hamas was in there and the other side said it was just aid. It says Israel has not proved Hamas fighters were hit and the Gaza health ministry has not reported a number for those killed.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

His narrative is that it was internationally recognized, which it was not. Words have meaning and he is a disinformer. It is worded intentionally to have you jump to conclusions that are inaccurate through different framing of the situation and decision to conduct the strike.

• ElectroNeutrino@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

Under international law, you do not wantonly strike vehicles with markings for medical aid, such as ambulances. Doing so is a war crime. It doesn’t matter if it was, “an internationally recognized convoy.” It doesn’t matter if you suspect that it is fake.

Israel is admitting to violating Article 21 of the Geneva convention.

• NOT_RICK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Why won’t Israel let civilians cross the border to avoid civilian casualties? They have 300,000 soldiers, they can guard a refugee camp