• ccunning@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I heard the main dev has some sick fascination with is very dedicated to PWA.

• RandomLegend@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

i hope so too

it works incredibly well as a PWA and feels 100% like a native app. This also allows me to open it on my portrait-orientation monitor on my PC and it feels very good. Handling is much better than the native lemmy UI and i only visit lemmy ui for admin stuff

• revs@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Writing a native app, and not just a web wrapper, is a different skillset to writing a PWA. It’s not a quick conversion, it’s a whole new app from scratch and everything would be rewritten.

This is a superb PWA, and web apps will get better in each iOS release.

There are plenty of native apps to choose from if you want one.

• revs@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That lets you access native device features from a webapp/website.

It doesn’t make a webapp a “native” app. It would still be exactly the same web based technologies - still a very fancy website. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. As wefwef is amazing

• shashi154263@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

That lets you access native device features from a webapp/website.

That’s exactly why I want. It runs pretty smooth anyway, so it’s not really a problem that it’s a webapp.

• phoneymouse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Unfortunately, PWA have a limit of only 50 MB storage on your device. Not sure what this means for wefwef’s ability to store and show content, or to grow features over time.

• iod@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Just makes it easier for people who are accustomed to searching for useful things mainly on appstores. Many have no idea you can have full functionality in the form of PWAs.

• yoichi@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I just love that the dev is able to pump out updates pretty much daily. Getting anything reviewed on both the App Store and Play Store takes ages

• kill_dash_nine@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As someone who hasn’t really used many PWAs in the past, I am realizing that like 90% of the apps on my phone could probably just be a PWA. Hell, most of them just seem to be wrapping a browser in an iOS app anyway.

• CoffeeDev@lemmy.studio
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I have known about PWAs for a while, and it always has annoyed me just how many apps I have that could be PWAs instead. I think apps can be tracked to a greater degree than websites, so, at least for closed-source stuff made by companies, native apps give more data they can use and sell.

• buco@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They’ll find some other app in the playstore then. Wefwef is awesome as it is.

• iod@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

yeah i have the same view. mlem comes to mind right away. lemmy is having a boom in app development.

my only wish is for wefwef to have haptic feedback support like Apollo used to have but the dev said there are some limitations because its a pwa.

• tommy@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I could have a nice icon of my choice and without browser logo under it. really. that’s the only reason. I’m simply a purist and I love to have my UI clean and the way I want it, all my icons have the same form factor and general vibe. I even might give up on wefwef if something decent will come out. And the whole mess because of dumb icon

• Tempotown@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t think that makes you a purist, I think that just means you have ocd or something 😅

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I personally think there are way more important reasons for the developers and users as to PWA or native.

I love the frequency of updates wefwef is providing us to improve the user experience by bypassing the approval process of submitting every update to the app stores. And instantly makes the app accessible to users across platforms and not limited to just iOS or android.

• BitingChaos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

i guess being a web app gives Android users a taste of Apollo

i still feel like the web app is going to eventually hit some walls and need to be made into a native app.

• Opacity9850@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If it comes out as an app then the development will be divided between android and ios :( too much to deal with.