Hi, I’m Hunter Perrin, and I made a new email service called Port87.

Gmail was a great email service back in 2006, but now it just sucks. They put ads in your inbox that look like unread emails to trick you into clicking them. To me, that means Gmail is malware.

I’ve been degoogling my life for the past 7 years, and Gmail is the last Google service I depended on. I love ProtonMail and use it too, but I developed a new way to sort email automatically, and wanted to write my own service based on it.

Port87 lets you use a tagged address like yourname-netflix@port87.com, and that automically creates a “netflix” label and puts all email to that address in it. This helps keep your email organized automatically, and protects against spam and phishing.

The database abstraction library I wrote for Port87 is called Nymph.js, and it’s open source. Also the UI library I wrote is called Svelte Material UI, and it’s open source too.

I hope you all like it, and hopefully it can help migrate away from Gmail.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Hyphens aren’t allowed in Port87 usernames in order to prevent a situation like this. It’s surprising what is actually allowed to be an email address.

“Some Guy”@[192.168.0.5]

That’s a valid email address. There aren’t really any email services that don’t put limits on usernames though. Your Gmail username can’t be “Some Guy”.

• Zoolander@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I get that but you’re disallowing valid email addresses to do so. Gmail does actually allow you to use that email address. You would create it as Some.Guy@gmail.com and then you can address it to "Some Guy"@gmail.com because Google treats spaces and periods the same since spaces aren’t allowed without quotes.

I like what you’re doing here, I’m just pointing out a major issue with how you’re implementing it. You could have literally chosen any character as the delimiter so it’s weird to me that you chose one that’s so useful vs. others that are not.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I chose it because it is universally accepted. It works everywhere, as opposed to plus, which doesn’t work in a number of places. It doesn’t really matter that it disallows valid addresses. Every provider disallows valid addresses. _@gmail.com is another valid address, and you can’t register it.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Also tagged addressing, subaddressing, or mail extensions. Mine is not the first service to use hyphen. The Courier server also uses hyphen. Also, with mine you can use a plus or a hyphen.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

I’m assuming you mean hard code, and I’m not sure what you mean by that. I told you, you can use a plus or a hyphen. Both will work the exact same. If you want to use a plus, you can exclusively use a plus.