Conservatives furious at PM’s ‘naive’ meeting with Musk ahead of last Westminster session before election

• theinspectorst@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

“I despair at No 10’s naivety,” said one senior Tory. “People are worried about their finances, climate change, pandemics, war in Eastern Europe and the Middle East and now the PM has provided Elon Musk with an interview platform to say, sometime soon, that they and their children will not have jobs, a life without meaning.

“For crying out loud, we have a general election inside a year and the PM is offering the electorate dystopia. Thick, thick, thick.”

😂

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Tory MPs have accused Rishi Sunak of “offering the electorate dystopia” after an appearance with Elon Musk in which the billionaire warned that artificial intelligence could take everyone’s jobs and leave them searching for meaning in their lives.

“People are worried about their finances, climate change, pandemics, war in Eastern Europe and the Middle East and now the PM has provided Elon Musk with an interview platform to say, sometime soon, that they and their children will not have jobs, a life without meaning.

It comes at a crucial moment for Sunak before a highly political king’s speech in which he plans to cause trouble for Labour over net zero goals and also launch a battle to be seen as the party for homeowners and renters.

However, Sunak’s appearance with Musk, in which the billionaire said AI would eliminate the need for all jobs and raise the question of how we “find meaning in life”, has frustrated many Tories, as they return to Westminster still trailing Labour by a significant margin.

But it’s a medium-to-long-term issue, when what we need is a build-up to a good autumn statement following an ambitious, imaginative king’s speech.” Another veteran MP said: “I think accentuating how it benefits public services would be more productive.” Some MPs saw the Musk interview, and the attention on AI as a whole, as more evidence that Sunak was indulging in policies that matched his personal interests – such as a ban on smoking and the axing of HS2 north of Birmingham.

The agenda is set to include pro-car policies and commitments on oil and gas exploration, both designed to wrongfoot Labour.mKeir Starmer, the Labour leader, is expected to respond that the Tories have failed working people after 13 years in power and now only offer “division and more of the same”.

The original article contains 839 words, the summary contains 303 words. Saved 64%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!