Automatically creating a shadow account for everyone on Instagram?

Even allowing people to follow that account?

Sounds like they really wanted to push Threads out the door in a big way.

• MusketeerX@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Hey, don’t give them any ideas!

I’ve never had a Facebook or Instagram account in my life. But I do use WhatsApp because it’s the main way most friends and family communicate (Australia).

I would not be happy if I found out I suddenly had a Threads account that my friends could follow without me even signing up, just because I use WhatsApp!

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Meta has 100% already made shadow accounts for you across their ecosystem.

They’ve been doing that for just Facebook for at least a decade at this point, with the primary intent of tracking online activity of literally as many people as they can. Much of it is done in an “anonymous” fashion - tied to device MACs, IMEIs, source IP, etc, along with cookies that they’ve persuaded most SaaS companies to integrate on their sites (and often apps), instead of tying it directly to your PII.

• MusketeerX@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes, but in this instance, they are allowing people to pre-follow that shadow account and then apparently you get a notification to say they have followed you promoting you to join and follow them back.

That’s a very cunning way to boost their new service quickly!

I’m relieved they’re not doing that with WhatsApp.

• ignitionnight@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

You keep saying the word shadow account like it’s some nefarious thing. They are following an existing Instagram account that they already follow, and will get a notification when that existing account starts using a new service.

There is nothing wrong with this.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, all fair points. And I agree that letting early adopters concretely engage with/follow shadow accounts that “don’t exist yet” is very fucking cheeky and, imo, more than a bit disingenuous.

• johnthebeboptist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I guarantee you that’s not the reason. They did/do similar shit with Facebook and people were pissed, now anyone barely remembers or cares. People don’t care and facwbook/meta/zuck certainly doesn’t.

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Things are more complicated than that. Spinning off of facebook was necessary. Just because you’ve done something once doesn’t mean you do the same thing in similar-but-not-identical situations though. It’s all calculation at the end of the day, and each equation has its own set of variables.

Similar to how we’re likely going to see a brand new form of attack, where instead of being EEE’d, he just tries to smother awareness of us and keep us small. Since he can’t actually outright eliminate us.

• Niello@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And because WhatsApp isn’t popular throughout since there are also regions that almost exclusively use LINE or very heavily adopted Telegram. Not everyone uses Instagram but it’s a popular choice for the kind of service it offers all over the world.