Hey there everybody! Weekly check-in time once again. So… What are you playing this week?

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Backpack battles, path of exile, just bought kenshi and I’m looking to invest some time into it.

Xbox I’ve got stranded deep and gunk (or some synonym puzzle platformer that starts with a G) from the games pass.

Stranded deep seems like a very basic survival game, I was shocked how much like BioShock it started, it didn’t give me hope for future creativity. I’m not sure if I’m getting old, or is they just expect extreme precision in doing things like putting the oar into the oar-locks, that simple task definitely tested my patience.

The gunk game was pretty fun, but the story is a bit gnawingly cliche, and there’s some pretty easy continuity sequence breaking I managed to do by mistake. It also seems to require a masterful level of scrounging to get even a portion of the upgrades that you’re naturally accumulating along the way, and the discrepancy of upgrade costs between the required and optional upgrades is verging on silly. But it is very pretty, and not at all difficult for my old man reflexes. The game designers seem confused about the reason map areas are separated by caves that you have to crouch through, as those “seemless loading corridors” exist, but they’re put into areas that don’t seem to need extra assets loaded, and then the maps are divided into areas separated by loading screens anyways. But that’s a minor gripe.

Backpack battles introduced some much needed recipe balance to the system, 1 is the 2 classes got their omega pet that the other one has had for quite a while, it required the introduction of a sub pet (the carrot Goober), but imo that pet is so damn week compared to the ingredients that go into it, it definitely needs a little bit of a buff, but props to the developer for adding new items that aren’t game breaking and then tuning them up.

Hopefully work doesn’t kill me this week (a serious concern with my developing long COVID symptoms) so I can take some time to scratch the surface of kenshi.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

One of those games I’m anxious to play because what if it doesn’t click with me? It’s a terrible state to be in, especially since I bought the dang thing, but ever since I couldn’t get into terraria (pre-purchased tht 4-pack) it’s something that’s sat with me. On the other hand, what if I mount and blade it, 30 hours in the first weekend, then I have to go cold turkey because it might consume me?

I love living between those lines. It’s so stupidly unhealthy.

• Demigodrick@lemmy.zipM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

That’s just like me, I bounced hard on terraria but loved bannerlord (still love? It’s been a while).

I bought Kenshi during its alpha phase and played a shitload then. Its got a unique charm to it but can be quite unforgiving.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What is the gameplay loop of that? I just looked at some of the in store pictures and it’s giving me a bit of shipbreaker vibes

• Ghostlight@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Basically you spawn in a new orbital station, you’re tasked to assemble things, and solve problems to bring the station into the next phase of operation. Can only be played with a controller and has couch co op, but can still be played solo.

• Laggindragon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Project Zomboid. A deliciously brutal zombie apocalypse game. Has some of the best mechanics in the genre.

• 1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Counterstrike I guess, because it’s so simple to play. Don’t have to think, which is nice.

• Blxter@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Just finished halo infinite on laso was actually really easy compared to the past ones just a couple achievements left for 100% then I am eager to try “metal hellsinger”