Looking for a advice for a once a week (at least for straight up “gym”) workout regiment. I just don’t have the time to go any more than that, and most regiments I find online are for 3+ times a week. That would be great and all, but it just isn’t going to happen. I potentially can do an extra at-home day of stuff that doesn’t really require extra equipment, but at this point I’m just looking to build a habit and currently only have one day that I’m potentially able to get to the gym.

I’m just looking to cram as much of a well rounded workout as I can into an hour or so. I’m not looking to get buff, and not to lose weight, just to generally improve health. More of a something is infinitely better than nothing kind of approach.

I’m going to be by myself, so I generally prefer machine stuff but am not opposed to some free weights. I’m not a total weightlifting noob, as in a previous life I had more time for such and used to go a few days a week, but that’s been years. Even then, I kind of just did a bunch of assorted stuff to try to hit the main muscle groups, but never had a real “plan”.

• theunfounded@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Ignore the hate in the other comments. Any attempt at working on improving yourself is worthwhile, any activity is better than no activity. Best of luck!

This is copy pasta from Arnolds https://arnoldspumpclub.com/ daily newsletter. Its a good routine and will allow you to get a full body workout in both the gym and at home. If you are unfamiliar with any of these exercises search the exercise and thepumpclub on youtube.

Workout of the Week

If you looked through Arnold’s workout logs, something would immediately stand out — and we’re not talking about the grueling sessions, incredible volume, or ability to push himself to the limit. Arnold built his body on a steady diet of basic exercises.

Today, you see many “new moves” and variations, and influencers might make it seem like these are necessary or better. If you enjoy them, that’s fine. But mastering foundational moves is a proven way to build strength, add muscle, and burn fat.

This week’s program doesn’t include exotic exercises, but it takes a timeless approach to challenging every muscle from head to toe.

How it works

This full-body workout can be done as one circuit. You’ll perform the first exercise and then immediately move to the next exercise, resting as little as possible. And you’ll continue this pattern until you complete all of the movements. After you finish one round of all eight exercises, you can call it a day, or you can rest 3 minutes and go through the eight exercises again. If you’re a beginner, just 1 to 2 sets is enough, and you’ll be done in 10 to 20 minutes. If you’re more advanced, aim for 3 to 5 total circuits.

Bodyweight version Pushup Inverted row Leg raise Superman “W” Bodyweight squat Rear-foot elevated split squat Plank Reverse Lunge

Dumbbell version Chest press Bent-over row Leg raise Pullup Goblet squat Dumbbell rear-foot elevated split squat Plank Dumbbell reverse lunge

• Vik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Im wondering how well a day a week of barbell oriented compound exercises would pan out, starting with back or front squat, going into deadlift, rdl, barbell row, military press, bench press.

Depending on how you decide to approach weight and reps, it might be a bit too much. A day of compound could be fun, though.

Perhaps you can alternate a few of them week by week, so back squat, deadlift bench press one week, front squat, rdl, incline press the next.

• Cheesebaron@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

This is what Starting Strength, StrongLift 5x5, GreySkull, Mad Cow and the likes are. Bunch of compound movements.

I’ve personally done StrongLift 5x5 for a good while and love it. You get strong and don’t spend crazy amounts of time in the gym.

• Vik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

That’s good to hear. I’ve often thought about just a day of deadlift (for example). Never thought about doing it all in one go but I should give it a shot sometime.

• Cheesebaron@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Maybe I misread a bit. The programs I mentioned, usually are 3 days a week. You could maybe do 2 days a week.

However, going 1 day a week, I think you would feel sore every time and perhaps not gain much muscle.

• minnix@lemux.minnix.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

For one day a week honestly it is not worth it. You would for the most part be wasting your time. You could go every third day and see benefits though. Better to stick to bodyweight exercises at home whenever you can fit them in.