Looking for a advice for a once a week (at least for straight up “gym”) workout regiment. I just don’t have the time to go any more than that, and most regiments I find online are for 3+ times a week. That would be great and all, but it just isn’t going to happen. I potentially can do an extra at-home day of stuff that doesn’t really require extra equipment, but at this point I’m just looking to build a habit and currently only have one day that I’m potentially able to get to the gym.

I’m just looking to cram as much of a well rounded workout as I can into an hour or so. I’m not looking to get buff, and not to lose weight, just to generally improve health. More of a something is infinitely better than nothing kind of approach.

I’m going to be by myself, so I generally prefer machine stuff but am not opposed to some free weights. I’m not a total weightlifting noob, as in a previous life I had more time for such and used to go a few days a week, but that’s been years. Even then, I kind of just did a bunch of assorted stuff to try to hit the main muscle groups, but never had a real “plan”.

• Cheesebaron@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is what Starting Strength, StrongLift 5x5, GreySkull, Mad Cow and the likes are. Bunch of compound movements.

I’ve personally done StrongLift 5x5 for a good while and love it. You get strong and don’t spend crazy amounts of time in the gym.

• Vik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s good to hear. I’ve often thought about just a day of deadlift (for example). Never thought about doing it all in one go but I should give it a shot sometime.

• Cheesebaron@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Maybe I misread a bit. The programs I mentioned, usually are 3 days a week. You could maybe do 2 days a week.

However, going 1 day a week, I think you would feel sore every time and perhaps not gain much muscle.