I have two blankets I really like and use frequently, but I don’t like having on my bed (due to them being too warm). If I had them on the floor overnight when I don’t need them, would it damage the blankets?

Basement is always chilly (below 70F), even during summer, so I have good reason to believe it is climate controlled.

• Reliant1087@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you do that they might catch a lot of dust. The floor is usually where all the dust in a room accumulates.

• serenastra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve sometimes found spiders like to hide in blankets or towels I leave on the floor. Why not get a nice ottoman to sit at the end of the bed to store them in?

• gharmonica@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It should be OK, people put blankets on the floor all the time.

But why don’t you store them in a close during the summer?

• McBinary@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Seriously, body pillow is the way! I didn’t get one until I was 39 years old and I just got mad at myself for not getting one way earlier. It also helps with back pain, hip pain, and shoulder pain for side sleepers like me.

• NewWorldOverHere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago
    1. What type of floor does your basement have? Is it carpet or cement?

Basements tend to be damp. So if it is carpet, there is a good chance it is retaining some moisture and already has some slight mildew/mold build up. This would transfer easily over to your blanket.

Would this make a big difference to you, since you’re already living in that environment? Not likely. If you’re allergic, it would just make you more sneezy, your nose rub more, etc.

1. Spiders and other creatures of the night. For this reason alone, don’t put your blanket on the ground. Unless you live in Alaska, where there are genuinely ZERO spiders, I guarantee you that you have spiders in your basement. And that the run across your basement floor at night.

Don’t believe me? Just stay up late watching a movie on your tv one night (with all other lights off), and I promise you’ll see their shadows on the ground as they move around.

So - no! Put your blanket on something! Anything! Doesn’t have to be fancy. Other people are making responsible adult recommendations, which is great and all, but the point is - keep your gosh darn blanket off the ground. Do you have an extra lounge chair (the type that has armrests; not a folding chair)? Put that by your bed and throw your blanket on that if you get too hot.

You do NOT want to put your blanket on the floor, and pick it up the next day… or three days later… and put it on your bed, accidentally picking up a spider or two along with it. NO thank you.

• kokoapadoa@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ll say upfront that this is the best answer in this thread.

Firstly, not too concerned about bugs. They can be wiped off, and are a minor annoyance I’m willing to deal with. Though I’ll put them on my bed when it’s not being used!

The main reason I’m concerned is that the blankets will always be right next to my bed, so that I can grab them and throw them off easily without moving much. So a lounging chair is off the table, since it’d be far away.

I’m thinking about getting a mat for this purpose, since while it’d still be ground, there’d be a barrier between the carpet and my blankets.

• NewWorldOverHere@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s a good idea.

I had another thought too. In the past, I’ve used some acne creams on my face at night, mostly to try and prevent a breakout. Benzoyl peroxide was the main one, and it made little bleach marks on the top edges of my comforter and pillow case. Just a warning because these blankets seem special to you.

Good luck with your blanket setup!