Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan but it seems like the fediverse could theoretically exist with like 5 users whereas a commercial company needs users for revenue. It feels like we are using the masters tools to try to destroy the masters house

• AVeryCleverName@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it might be a bit of an xy problem. I myself have hoped for the runaway success of the fediverse. But I realized it’s not actually some absolute number of users I want. What I want is for the fediverse to have that same “there’s a community for anything” that reddit had.

I’m starting to hope the fediverse doesn’t get too big now, honestly. There’s a certain number of eyeballs that is going to attract people interested in exploiting those eyeballs, and I don’t know if the fediverse is robust enough to fight them off as the pot of gold they see begins to overflow. It’s hard balance to find. And maybe the decentralized aspect of the fediverse does mean that it can’t be fully assimilated by capital, I don’t know.

Were living in interesting times.

• vera@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is kinda what I was getting at towards the end of your comment. More shitheads doesn’t necessarily mean better content

• Wollff@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t know if the fediverse is robust enough to fight them off as the pot of gold they see begins to overflow. It’s hard balance to find.

By now I think it’s not a balance which can be found. I think “migration to the next thing” is just part of the nature of online identity, if it’s important to you.

After some time the weaknesses of certain systems and platforms will start to show, especially if they start becoming “mainstream”. And then chances are good that pressure will mount, as a new platform will bring up which aims to adress at least some of the weaknesses of the previous platform. Rinse. Repeat.