To start off with I had a Ryzen 3400G and an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max that had become unstable and took several tries to boot. I decided to swap in an ASUS Prime B550M-A wifi.

The only issue is I was triple booting Kubuntu, Windows 7, and Windows 10, so this would be interesting.

TL/DR:

Kubuntu booted normally. Like seriously, just a regular boot, no messages or anything.

Windows 7 froze a few seconds into the loading screen. I tried rebooting and using safe mode, but that froze too.

Windows 10 gave a bunch of ‘rechecking’ and ‘fixing file system’ messages, and after about 2 reboots with more messages, opened to a workable desktop.

• spauldo@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Sounds normal. The Linux kernel shipped by most distros detects (most of) the hardware automatically, and if you’re using UUID mounts in fstab all your filesystems will be in the right place. Your network config is probably newly generated, but unless you’re using wireless you probably won’t notice.

You might check to see if Windows has deactivated itself.

• OpticalMooseOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You might check to see if Windows has deactivated itself.

Hmm, yeah, about that … lol
      But thanks for the tips. I did have to do a sudo mount -a to get it to recognize network shares and raid volume, but I think I was having that issue before the swap.
      It did connect to wifi which was a surprise to me. One thing I didn’t check is if the VPN is routing correctly when I have both wired and wireless connected. Honestly, I don’t even know how to check that, so that’ll be something to keep me busy.

• lemmy_user_838586@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Lol I did this with 2 laptops that had different CPU generations and it still worked, haha. Had a laptop I was using as home server with a 2nd gen Intel i5, and a laptop I was using as personal laptop with an Intel core 2 duo and just took the drives and swapped them, everything booted normally, no problems. Linux is awesome.