Seeing a big “politics” community in both lemmy.ml and lemmy.world just confuses me as to which I should be subscribing to and I don’t really want to subscribe to both.

Guess this is just a downside of federated instances? There’ll never just be one “/r/politics” on Lemmy?

• thetreesaysbark@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m curious, what’s your concern with subscribing to both? I had the same thought when I switched and then thought “is this just a knee jerk reaction? I can’t think of a decent reason why it’s that annoying when they both appear in my subs feed anyway”

I’m interested to hear why others might not like it as that might be what I’m thinking without realising.

• Match!!@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The major concern is whether to cross-post so that members of only one community can see posts from the other, or to avoid cross posts so that people subscribed to both don’t see duplicates

• sparr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

As with almost every other question about the fediverse, we already discussed this to death decades ago and came up with the answers for email. Do what you’d do for two mailing lists on the same topic.

• Adlach@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I have literally never in my life managed a mailing list. I have no idea what your answer even implies.

• sparr@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I wasn’t referring to managing. I was referring to posting, as a user. If you haven’t done that either, that doesn’t mean you can’t find all the discussions and decisions and rules and policies people came up with over the last four decades.