• Veraxus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I would. Not only would I do so voluntarily, but I also support STRONG consumer protection laws that would force any product or software or copyright or patent into public domain the instant it’s been unavailable for sale for 3 or more years or has gone without update for 5 years.

Our public domain and consumer protections are pathetic, and should be vigorously bolstered and defended.

• DogMuffins
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t think you’ve really thought this through.

If you force a company to continue support they will just give it a stupid price tag. “Sure we will continue to support this $250k microscope, if you would like us to write a windows 11 client for you that will cost $1m.”

• Veraxus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

That sort of thing already happens in the enterprise world. If it gets maintained because a customer wants to pay for that entirely, it happens.

But if they abandon it, even unintentionally, then it needs to become public domain.

• DogMuffins
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I think you missed my point.

I’m saying that you can’t legislate that abandoned software must become public domain. If you asked a company whether it was abandoned they would just say yes it’s still supported, with a completely impractical price tag for support.