What’s the point of federation, when we will end up having large clumps of users in specific communites under instances, where the owners of the instance can censor information, and enforce their political ideological false authory over everyone. If somebody doesn’t agree they can be banned without any valid reason. Federation is censorship resistant only to large government entities. We fail to realise that the issue with censorship is the owners and admins.

And yes, we can meke new instances that support our beliefs and that doesnt censor our speech, but then again we dont have an evenly distributed userbase. Having duplicate communities is cojnter intuitive anyways because it will confuse users. Lemmy is a failed project in my eyes unless they find a way to resolve these issues somehow.

Bad example but if i start a torrent, then the people who seed will own just as much of the torrent as i do. I’ll be equal with the peers without any upper hand. It cant be taken down or censored. Thats the idea i had.

• user@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Well im saddened if thats the case. New users wont sign up if we just have a “serviceable” platform. I think we can do better than this, but i appreciate that we have anything at all.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

OK I didn’t mean that literally lol.

I think these things just take time. I’m not into tech stuff, but it seems like things are moving pretty fast, and the more stuff you subscribe to, the easier new users will find communities.

I think the potential is here and then some.

I’m enjoying my time here and the general vibe. The jerboa app is pretty great and will get better. There’s small bugs, expected.

We have to developed it, the whole things.

As far as whether federation will work long term, who knows? All about the journey for me.

• user@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

What i can say for a fact that is better than reddit is that we can work together as a community to make it better. I just have this same concern for mastodon too. Maybe the more i understand how this works the less ill worry about this.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I get it. I have almost zero knowledge from a tech perspective so 🤷

I like it so far, it is basically, as is, how I interacted with reddit anyway, only more intimate. I think, even if we gain just a slight population increase, it’ll be substantially better in days ahead.

The thing I’m enjoying most is a sense of community, the fact that you even care yknow.