• Stern@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Tldr kinda

He got addicted to benzos and had himself put in a coma in russia to cold turkey it (against advice to ween off it from doctors in north america). Shit got fucky and he got brain damage from it.

Couple levels of lols there since he did papers on drug addiction in the past and his schtick is not looking for easy answers… but thats the one he took.

• VikingHippie@lemmy.wtf
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I also like the one about him absolutely destroying himself with the insane all-meat diet his daughter espoused. Not sure if that was before or after the benzos and whether there’s a causal link, though…

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

JP is one of the greatest examples of how you can be smart in one narrowly defined way, and an absolute dipshit in so many others. I never really bothered with the guy as the subject doesn’t interest me all that much, but I hear he was a leading voice at one point, and a fairly coherent one at that. And then based on his early success and subsequent fans, he let it get to his head and started thinking he was the smartest guy in every room.

Another example is Steve Jobs. Autistic rainman style levels of design, marketing and usage knowledge, but apparently couldn’t do simple shit like feed himself properly or maintain his personal hygiene.

• Aurenkin@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

This is a really interesting phenomenon. I feel like someone can be really knowledgeable and an expert in a certain domain but then they get used to people listening to and respecting them and their opinions. Then they start talking authoritively about stuff they really have no idea about expecting it to be the same or something. I don’t know, I haven’t though this through properly but it seems like there are a few recent examples where that could have happened.

• JustinAngel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

TBF, scientific studies seem to support that ketosis can influence/mitigate neurological conditions. The ketogenic diet was originally developed as a method of managing epilepsy, for instance.

The “classic” ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy.

Personally, I’m giving it a try to assist with migraine management, per this study:

In total, 17 patients (73.9%) reported a reduction in the headache days, and 15 patients (65.2%) reported a reduction in headache days of at least 50% and were considered as responders.

The study itself had 23 patients iirc, so I’m sure more research needs to be done, but I’d like to avoid daily medications due to some of the undesirable side effects and I’m in good enough health to accept the risk for a few months.