link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Things to know you’re 30

“I wish the odd white one just went with the grain” (white hairs will grow whichever way they please, and it starts with only a few)

“Ah, that’s gonna be my bad knee”

“I don’t know why I have a sore spot there it just comes and goes”

“Dental repairs cost how much?” and suddenly brushing and flossing will be a second hobby

Tinnitus, but not like severe. Just once in awhile and often enough to keep you guessing like once a month or so.

“There was a pop but I don’t know where.”

“Oh my god I’m turning into my parents”

• virku@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That sudden silence followed by a minutes tinnitus every couple of months is the weirdest thing.

• Zellith@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I had sudden tinnitus start in my left ear pulsing a high pitch with my heartbeat. Then slowly a crackling started in my right with its volume based on what I’m hearing. Now Im bombarded with noise every moment of every day. Docs have basically said “welp this is your life now”. The Antidepressants arent cheap either!

• MrsDoyle@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Two things helped me: learning not to listen to the “noise” (it’s not truly noise, it’s a kind of nerve damage), and hearing aids. When I first put the aids in the tinnitus vanished. The downside is that all the work I’d put in to not listening was overturned, because I “heard” the sounds again when I took the aids out. Still nice to have that respite though.

Training yourself to not listen to the racket isn’t easy, but it is so worthwhile. Turn your attention away to something else - a smell, a photograph, your pet, anything. Focus away. Just thinking about tinnitus is making it “audible” to me, lol! It’s not real sounds, it’s your poor abused nerve endings firing off random signals. White noise works for a lot of people, but it never has for me.

Visit https://tinnitus.org/ for more info. There’s a download section where you can get a pdf of a scientific paper describing the method.

• Denvil@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’ve had tinnitus since I was born, that trick does help, but only for a couple minutes. I just live with at this point, I’ve never had true silence so idk what I’m even missing

• Lawdoggo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Wtf, I thought that was just me. Although it happens less ever since I lost some weight, so my guess is it’s BP related.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Don’t forget that little back pain you had in your teens from when you did that stupid thing? Yeah, gonna hurt forever. It’s gonna hurt worse.

• Jamie@jamie.moe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

My dad went over the bars of a dirtbike when he was about 20 and landed hard on his shoulder, but walked it off.

Came back to haunt him with a vengeance last year almost 50 years later, super high pain in that shoulder that took a surgery to go away.

• FlaminGoku@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I get that this is tongue in cheek, but seriously, some people are just waiting to die and seem to find joy in tracking how their body is breaking down vs doing something about it.

Body maintenance becomes more and more necessary as you get older. Use it or lose it.

Do strength training on the weakest parts of your body (hips, ankles, knees, shoulder, rotator cuffs, lower back, neck) and you will thank yourself decades later.

• Smokeydope@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

To anyone trying to cope with minor permanent tinnitus know it gets better. When I first realized I had it at 23 I pulled neurotic worrying self pity card, a year later and its just another part of life like that weird occasional ache in your back. I dont notice it 90% of the time and put on a fan or yt video the other 10%. There’s a definite psychological toughness factor to it as you go from “oh man I really really really hope this goes away in a month I dont want this the rest of my life to " oh well could be worse better stop with the loud music and excessive drinking/smoking.”

If I ever have kids of my own I’ll make sure to let them know not to blair shit into their ears for years straight and take hearing protection seriously

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Young people have a left knee and a right knee. Middle aged folks have a good knee and a bad knee. Old folks have a bad knee and a worse one.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

From Mad Magazine. You know you’re old when you skip the game highlights and start videotaping painkiller ads.

I must be old because I remember Mad Magazine AND videotapes!

• stebo02@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

“I don’t know why I have a sore spot there it just comes and goes”

I have this but I’m 21…

• devfuuu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

And the biggest surprise: new hair starts to grow out of nowhere in the nose and ears.

• CassowaryTom@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Im 45 with nothing in the bank. I’ll die hard and homeless probably. Real shit. All good though. Today we feast.

• farllen@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Pretending that 30 is old leads to so much unnecessary angst. 30s is more prime time, best to enjoy it!

• Megaphauna@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Truth! I don’t understand a lot of the comments around people’s 30s. Maybe I’m lucky but turning 38 soon, feels physically the same as my 20s except now I have money for fun stuff

• Madison420@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I mean that’s contextual, I didn’t have Parkinson’s symptoms at 34 but I do at 35 so for some people it quite literally is all downhill and 30 might honestly be old and that’s ignoring the homeless etc.

• Okokimup@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I was raised in cult that told me the world was going to end when I was still a child. I was never supposed to hit teenagerhood, and here I am in my 40s.

• sunblocks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The quote the great khaki cuffs,

“I recently realized I probably won’t die young so I can start planning for my future or something, investing wisely, making sure I’m okay”