Friend gave me access to his Adobe account (I’m never giving Adobe money again), and it looks like they don’t even support Firefox. That means I’m not using even the one remaining browser-based Adobe service that’s left.

Adobe forcing you to use Chrome instead of Firefox to use their service

• soulfirethewolf@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Meanwhile, Mozilla refuses to implement feature parity with chromium in certain places they seem to be too invasive.

Also, chromium browsers can block ads.

• Presi300@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Tell me 1 area where firefox isn’t at feature parity with chrome, unless you’re referring to mozilla choosing to not drop manifest V2 (which is a feature that chrome doesn’t have… fully functional adblockers and all) and by chrome, i mean chrome. 90% of people don’t use chromium-based browsers, they use chrome, so I think it’s more fair to compare firefox to chrome, instead of any of the chromium-based browsers.

• egerlach@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

There’s the topic of this conversation, WebUSB. I happen to believe that a missing feature here for Firefox is a good thing, mind you…

• Presi300@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I had never even heard of it before and upon looking it up… I struggle to grasp why any web app, website or anything on the internet would ever need access to my USB devices, isn’t USB device management the OS’s job? Like, call me stupid here, but I see no genuine use case for this.

• DeviatedForm@lemmy.cafe
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Some oscilloscopes use the browser, e.g. OpenScopeMZ from digilent. Then there’s Via for configuring custom keyboards, other than that nothing comes to my mind.

• egerlach@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I don’t fully agree with these, but these are the cases I’ve heard of:

• Deeper integration with webcams
            • USB authentication devices like Yubikeys

I think these are better served with extensions or specific browser protocols that communicate with native apps in order to keep the crazy web world more isolated from the high-value computer world, but what do I know? My guess is that someone at Google went “You know, we’re creating a lot of these specific protocols to communicate with webcams, printers, and now we want to do authentication dongles. You know what? They all use USB? Why don’t we just create a general way to access USB?”

In the immortal words of Dr. Ian Malcolm: