Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. A few subs opened up and were discussing the possibility of extending the blackouts. The majority wanted the blackout to end to keep the influx of content. That was to be expected.

There was a disturbing tone in some of the messages though. It was a form of cynicism essentially backing Reddit to do whatever it wanted to the devs, and that it was wrong to protest the rule changes as we should be okay with whatever Reddit wanted. It was almost like learned helplessness. I genuinely found it to be disturbing. Is anyone else noticing this in their communities/subs?

• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This. I’m not posting on reddit anymore. I haven’t even loaded RiF except to see if my post history is showing so I can edit all traces of my presence there.

• jcg@halubilo.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Accidentally opened it a couple times from Google but luckily the subs were closed. Unluckily the thread had the answer to an Ubuntu issue I was looking for… I did figure it out eventually but it made me realize that having those communities primarily be on Reddit doesn’t particularly fit the FOSS ethos at all.

• AlataOrange@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same, I haven’t opened Reddit except for accidently on Google images when trying to find images for a game I run.

• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep! Or the occasional cited source in a recent news article that I blindly tapped on mobile