Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. A few subs opened up and were discussing the possibility of extending the blackouts. The majority wanted the blackout to end to keep the influx of content. That was to be expected.

There was a disturbing tone in some of the messages though. It was a form of cynicism essentially backing Reddit to do whatever it wanted to the devs, and that it was wrong to protest the rule changes as we should be okay with whatever Reddit wanted. It was almost like learned helplessness. I genuinely found it to be disturbing. Is anyone else noticing this in their communities/subs?

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve moved on. Lemmy is where it’s at. I only post on reddit to promote lemmy now :-) It’s my new game. Polite and respectful suggestion of an alternative. But, it’s better to just be here, get to know people, figure out how it works and enjoy the learning experience

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

i LOVE it here. I was just in reddit then, for old times sake, after reading this thread ;-) and the anger and negativity is real. It’s SO good here. This is like the old days of the net, with modern tech. I LOVE it

• CherenkovBlue@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same! I am posting a polite comment when appropriate about the fediverse and Lemmy explaining how it works and responding to respecful comments/questions. There are some vicious people in the replies but I just report and don’t engage.

Lemmy is great! Let’s gooooooo!

• bloodsangre7@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep, its helpful to just let people know there are alternatives. While everyone was angry it just didn’t feel like there was anywhere else to go and it felt kinda hopeless. Lemmy is not the same as reddit, but to me its a viable alternative and the people that will want to put in effort on it are the people I want to help and see posts and comments from

• Fizz@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I really think that we should have picked an alternative before the blackout protest. I didnt find Lemmy until the blackout and then there was no where to talk about it or tell people to come here. Oh well 130k + people still found there way here.

• Debo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Every population follows a standard, normal distribution curve. At the tips of this curve are the trailblazers (who left and came to lemmy) and the opposite side who feel as passionate about staying as we did about leaving.

Now that we’ve moved the 3 rd standard deviation off of Reddit, the curve has shifted and the opposite deviation is amplified.

This is to be expected when you have a population-level shift in any observed population. :)

• LemmyAtem@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not trying to nay say or poopoo you, but the best course of action is to stop talking about/worrying about/focusing on Reddit. A wise friend once said “you’ll never get over your ex if you’re constantly checking on and talking/thinking about your ex.”

This type of post essentially functions as a reddit stand-in for you to discuss reddit while not on reddit. That, in and of itself, is kind of self affirming for reddit. Example - you’re posting this asking if anyone feels the same as you, however, by even asking it, you’re also enabling people to read it and think “gee, maybe they’re right and we should just cave and accept”.

Instead of this type of post, focus on developing the new community you’ve joined. Get over your ex by moving on and focusing on the future, not thinking about what they’re doing or living in the past.

Cheers

• BigFig@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Keep 2 things in mind

/r/conservative assholes are running amuck across all of reddit at the moment.

And, Reddit has been known to astroturf comments in the past and I 100% guarantee that they are probably working on that to some extent right now.

• FantasticFox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Why would /r/conservative support killing third-party apps though? I don’t really see the connection.

• DreadedChalupacabra@latte.isnot.coffee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

If people generally to the left support something they automatically oppose it, and a lot of the big leftist and liberal sites were the first ones on this blackout train.

Like this isn’t being mean, they’ll admit they do that. They’re proud of it.

• Debo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I lean to the right in my political views yet I do not exhibit any of the behaviors that you are subscribing to an entire population. Consider being more exact with your words lest you alienate people with vitriol.

• minimar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

You’re right, right wing politics is primarily propagated by the desire to be evil.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, I guess they just want to “pwn the libs” by being made to use the awful first party app and have all the adverts etc.

I think the decentralised nature of lemmy, kbin etc. is much more in line with the libertarian ideals that some of the right have though.

• minimar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

What you’re realising here is right wing libertarianism isn’t real, it’s an excuse to allow people to do horrible things to eachother. They’re still very happy to ban things they don’t like.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

I mean it’s also /r/conservative not /r/libertarian or whatever. So I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to hold those libertarian values in any case.

• minimar@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Yeah, but take a look in any thread and they’re 24/7 jerking off about how they’re freedom lovers or whatever.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Yeah, it’s not really a coherent worldview. I don’t entirely agree with libertarianism but at least it’s much more coherent. They aren’t like all for freedom, but then against gay rights or whatever.

• MasterBlaster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

They view protesters against suthoritarian moves as whiny liberals, so they will always take the opposite position - and like it.

They see “take charge” and “fuck you” activities as real turn one, they don’t even stop to assess what is happening. They get raging boners over it.

• GhostedIC@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s kinda true. Then again, consider the history of any right-leaning sub or sub that makes fun of the left: Admins force unwanted mods into their subs. New accounts make “threatening” posts faster than mods can stomp them out, and get screenshots to other subs as proof the whole sub is terrible. T_D banned fir a post arguably advocating for violence against police… a few weeks before BLM kicked off, and every left sub was loaded with advocations for violence towards cops. Cringeanarchy got flooded with CP posts from AgainstHateSubs alt accounts and promptly shut down. (Cite: https://youtu.be/yUV9TyfYaEQ ) All this was, overtly or covertly, supported by reddit’s admins.

Now, if you’re still a r/conservative mod on Reddit after ALL THAT… you’re controlled opposition installed by reddit admins, or you want to a reddit mod so bad, you’ll compromise your values for it.

• GhostedIC@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

AHS was definitely doing this, and there were several examples of admins being in close communication with AHS leaders, including some leaked chat logs (which arent totally verifiable but are pretty consistent). If nothing else, the fact that reddit admins had their eyes on “bad” posts in right-leaning subs faster than mods could, and yet also would ignore similar posts in lefty or “neutral” subs like r/politics that don’t allow any remotely right wing opinions, was very observable to anybody in an effected sub.

• NightSicarius 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t think people are united in their views about Reddit. I’ve seen a bunch of conservatives complaining that Reddit is a “woke leftist hive-mind cesspool” and that it deserves to die. So I guess they support the blackouts because it’ll lead to Reddit’s death. Oh, and they also claim that Twitter is great now that all the “leftists” fled the platform because they were getting banned by Elon Musk.

The Internet is weird sometimes.

• Merthin1234@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I haven’t been on Reddit to see for myself however I believe I heard someone on Lemmy say that /r/conservative was making a big deal about NOT blacking out? I have no context and no clue why I just know I’ve heard people say that.

• Ralphensnitch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There is a distribution bias. The people commenting are the people who didn’t leave. Those that did might not have come back, or are not checking regularly.

• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This. I’m not posting on reddit anymore. I haven’t even loaded RiF except to see if my post history is showing so I can edit all traces of my presence there.

• jcg@halubilo.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Accidentally opened it a couple times from Google but luckily the subs were closed. Unluckily the thread had the answer to an Ubuntu issue I was looking for… I did figure it out eventually but it made me realize that having those communities primarily be on Reddit doesn’t particularly fit the FOSS ethos at all.

• AlataOrange@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Same, I haven’t opened Reddit except for accidently on Google images when trying to find images for a game I run.

• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yep! Or the occasional cited source in a recent news article that I blindly tapped on mobile

• Zapp@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Most of us wildly underestimate the number of our peer accounts that are corporate shill bots.

• talik@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

also the people still on reddit are the ones that never joined the protest in the first place

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“Most” people are going to be annoyed, more than anything. While extremely tech-savvy, my brother isn’t an avid Redditor… only ends up there for one or two niche things or when a Google search gets him there. All of a sudden he can’t get there and doesn’t really understand why. Even reading the various synopsis doesn’t make it particularly clear to a newcomer. Once I explained what was going on an answered a few questions he got it, but he’s still irritated by the fact that he knows there an answer behind that locked sub that he needs.

Those of us who have arrived thus far are not “most people”.

• mim@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe R/datahoarder was working overtime to back up everything. The amount of knowledge stored on reddit on all sorts of topics is very valuable. It’s a shame to let it die if Reddit ever goes bankrupt.

• OrangeSlice@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It was a mistake (though natural) to trust Reddit with all that knowledge in the first place.

• jcg@halubilo.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Those guys are exactly the kinds of people who should be on the fediverse, honestly. Running a Lemmy instance, even not participating but just letting it accumulate.

• Mewtwo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The last few days I have been learning specific things about my hobby. Of course, when googling questions the answer is on Reddit as the top result. So from am outsiders perspective the blackout was annoying.

• Mane25@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think what’s jarring is the contrast with how relatively nice everyone’s being over here, while Reddit hasn’t changed. I had a quick look back at some reopened subs but I don’t have much of a desire to go back right now.

Also, this was never really about the APIs specifically for me, that brought it to a head, but really it’s all about the way Reddit has been heading for the last few years. A lot of people who are back don’t seem to appreciate that.

• tallwookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

you gotta remember that the constant consumption of media is similar in many respects to addiction - people need their media back, preferably in an easy to swallow pill. the vast majority of the reddit userbase is unwilling to search for other methods/platforms to satiate that desire.

• Skyraptor7@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I guess i didn’t think it would be this bad. Like in one of my favorite subs, some of the user base is turning on the moderators, who have been excellent and have developed the community from nothing. It’s just unbelievable to see some of them turn that quickly.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

It doesn’t need to be this bad. People are inherently capable of ugly, self-destructive behaviors like this.

But it’s ultimately a reaction to an environment which is profoundly inhumane. Although these people are physically unharmed, they have been mentally disfigured by the mechanical claws of corporations, manipulating their needs and desires in order to extract wealth. They are not themselves. And thus I pity them, because I have also done ugly things as a result of pressures applied to me by our resident corporate overlords. They know not what they do.

Some people are actually just assholes though. But not that many. Most are being led by the mob rn.

• tallwookie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

yeah. not much can be done about it - gotta get the community moved to a new platform - this one, or others.

• Nanachi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean, I can understand some people not supporting the blackouts (not the third-party api fiasco)- Reddit is an info powerhouse, some subs going dark means some info won’t be accessable, which for important subs, can be a problem (I know not all the subs went dark and some health-critical ones are up btw) alternatively, maybe some people just don’t want to see Reddit die, not for corporation reasons, but maybe due to certain sentimental reasons- in which case Lemmy is still the spiritual successor of Reddit, the good part atleast- and we can say that Reddit is already “dead”, as in, it no longer is the Reddit as it is known anymore, unless if they like the modern day extra-consumerist hivemind Reddit, in which case, it is better we let them enjoy themselves…

• voxov7@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit is an info powerhouse, some subs going dark means some info won’t be accessable, which for important subs, can be a problem (I know not all the subs went dark and some health-critical ones are up btw)

reddit was something of a resource in itself.

• query@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think now it’s just a matter of building up the alternatives. The blackout was enough of a push for me to find and explore this place, and many of my regular subs look set on staying private, so I’m hoping that means more people will be looking around, especially once it lasts through the weekend.

• Glunkbor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have witnessed these bad responses on different soccer-related threads as well. They all behave like junkies who really need their fix of reddit desperately that they get toxic against those who protest and dare to take their precious fix away. A bunch of “no one cares, trust me bro”-responses, mods get attacked for having too much power. It’s sad really how addicted they are to reddit. I personally hope most, if not all the subs that went dark will do so indefinitely. Might be good for the mental health of those who are dramatically addicted as well.

• AMindForeverVoyaging@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

“No one cares, trust me bro”…until their dealer (corporate Reddit) decides to start charging for their fix, or else nukes their favorite subreddit to make the whole place more investor-friendly. Then, it will be “HOW DARE THEY???”

• Glunkbor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, it’s embarrassing how shortsighted these people are. Reddit will be an absolute mess riddled with ads in the near future, especially when they force mobile browser users into the app and I would not put it past Spez to disallow adblockers being used on their website as well. Then you get spammed with ads unless you buy Reddit premium, which surely will rise in price as well. And then it will be too late to protest. So silly to not see the direction that reddit is taking and to complain about protests now.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Most of us have been seeing it for years but failed attempts like voat were discouraging. The type of users they decided to alienate this time was their greatest error. Don’t fuck with the mods and the app devs lmao… that’s why this exodus is like the absolute opposite of voat.

• DreamerOfImprobableDreams@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It was almost like learned helplessness.

This is a huge problem on reddit as a whole, IMO. The whole website is chock-full of doomers, cynics, and pessimists who are quick to say why every piece of good news is bad, actually, why every attempt at change is doomed to fail, why there’s no hope for anyone anywhere trying to do anything, and we should all just lie down and wait for the sweet release of death. It’s universal, across almost all the big subs, regardless of subject matter.

I’m not sure why reddit ended up that way, but it was both exhausting and depressing. That doomer shit is contagious, spend too much time immersed in it and you catch yourself thinking that way too. And, well, it’s just sad to see everyone around you being sad.

One thing I’m loving about Lemmy / KBin so far is that it’s not like that. Maybe it’s just because they’re still small and new, but people seem less nihilistic here. Not polyanna-ish toxic-positivity optimistic either. Just… normal. It’s so refreshing. God, I hope this place stays this way!

• XiELEd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I actually logged in just to vote yes on the subreddit polls asking to extend the blackout, and… yeah. It manifested as acknowledging that a 2-day blackout wasn’t going to do anything, and after that they would continue to argue that we shouldn’t proceed.