I’ve been conflicted about this. For example beehaw has a larger technology community but I’m a fan of lemmy.world so I try to post interesting content there to help the site.

Beehaw might not be the best example since it’s defederated but you get the idea

• Roundcat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You feed the community you want to see grow. If I was concerned about community size, I’d still be on reddit. You could post to the Beehaw community, which may mean more views, or you could contribute to your local instance’s community, which will show people that it is active, which will lead to people posting there as well, which will lead to growth. Or you could always post to both.

• Encrypt-Keeper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean post it on both. It’s no different than the age old issue on Reddit of having two similar but slightly different tech subreddits where your content would fit on both. That’s what cross posting is for. I’m not sure if you can simply cross post on Lemmy but even if you can’t just post it on each community separately, it doesn’t make any difference.

• LemmyLefty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Should you draw a picture if a more popular artist has already made it, or should you do what you enjoy?

• Meldroc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What if Lemmy had something like multireddits. So when you have several communities talking about the same thing, you can get a merged feed.

• Oka@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think instances will eventually develop into hosts for specific topics, but that’s not a bad thing. You can still startup a new community on any instance. I think smaller communities will be spread over all instances.

• Sean@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is not the worst idea I have heard. I think it would be really cool if people could get local instances going for their cities. Then have the communities be based on topics relating to said city.