link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

People who make 6 figures with thousands in the bank wondering why they are still miserable: “b-bhut I thought money and owning stuff was supposed to make me happy!” Financial security is but one aspect of finding personal happiness. There people who live in vans scraping by on meager SS who are happy as peaches with their new life. You can be happy and live a comfortable life with very little.

But that’s not what people here want to hear. You see what I say and instantly go “haha yet another corpo shill trying to tell me to be happy with owning nothing” I said little not nothing, and I personally believe maybe there’s something to be found in ridding yourself of wants and desires. Learning to be happy with what you have while building up your life slowly towards a little more. Im not talking out my ass either I currently am living out that philosophy. I’m sorry if you are in a financial hole right now but money isn’t the solution to everything.

• Chetzemoka@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

There are people living in vans scraping by on meager SS who are happy as peaches with their new life right up until some illness or injury lands them in my hospital unit and they have no option for support except our horrific nursing home system.

Don’t fetishize poverty.

• Elric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You need to suffer real poverty. It is not possible to be happy when you can’t afford food, shelter, medical necessities and other basics. This is obvious. Don’t try and gas light us.