• 1 Post
  • 232 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: July 7th, 2023

help-circle

• Fr this is a great idea (National Service, but not necessarily military service). We could train carpenters and electricians, repair people, maintenance and construction jobs. We could train medical assistants and dental hygienists’, vet techs, and build houses (high density housing located in an area with good public transit, of course), and railways, and so much more with our tax dollars.

And yes, a strong defense is important, so military service would count too. Like it or not lots of people across the world rely on American defense, and its wrong to betray those allies and obligations like Obama did when he let Russia take Crimea.

And the best part is (in my version of events) all those people who performed national service would qualify for TriCare and the GI Bill, so we don’t even need new programs. It won’t be easy, of course, but it gives our youth skills in higher education and trades, helps alleviate the housing crisis, improves American infrastructure, and invests in our future.

I’d also like to see some sort of UBI after the service ends to catch anyone who still struggles after but I expect that’d be relatively rare.

• That sounds like a senior community, not assisted living. Assisted living is when you’re put into basically a hospital room with another person and your live is micromanaged for you. You dont really hsve any freedom and often cant even leave your bed without permission. All of my grandparents were literally begging to die the entire time they were there.