• racemaniac@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

I’m kind of wondering what forums you visited.

What however is a recurrent issue with young people on forums is them asking questions that have already been answered a million times. On sites like reddit & discord, that’s the norm, we need new content all the time, the 526th person asking just keeps the social media going.

On forums however the etiquette is that you do some effort yourself, and something that gets asked that often is either a sticky, or a long running thread with all the information you could possibly want (but you’ll need to invest some of your own time to get the information from there). And if you then arrive on the forum, read nothing, and ask the same question… again… yeah… you won’t be welcomed with open arms.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

Without actual examples it’s really hard to tell if the forum was just a toxic environment, or you were the newbie not reading the room. I’ve seen both happen.

• Butt Pirate@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Oh a long running thread, my least favorite thing on the entire internet.

“Hey do you have an answer to my question”

Yeah bro, its in this 700 page forum thread. Here’s a tent and some supplies, godspeed."

Fuck that.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Once it becomes too big the forum admin should realize it’s time to make a subsection regarding that topic XD.

Forums for sure aren’t perfect, but a 20 page forum thread that does a deep dive into a topic with a lot of good contributors beats anything i expect to find on discord or lemmy.