According to Ortis, briefed him about a “storefront” that was being created to attract criminal targets to an online encryption service. A storefront, said Ortis, is a fake business or entity, either online or bricks-and-mortar, set up by police or intelligence agencies.

The plan was to have criminals use the storefront — an online end-to-end encryption service called Tutanota — to allow authorities to collect intelligence about them.

“So if targets begin to use that service, the agency that’s collecting that information would be able to feed it back, that information, into the Five Eyes system, and then back into the RCMP,” Ortis said.

• privacybro@lemmy.ninja
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Really appreciate your thoughts and time, thanks.

I found out also that Tutanota is essentially the same, except that they do E2EE subject lines between tutanota users, but I am guessing that is because they don’t use PGP unlike Proton. In which case, Proton is in the right in this case because they are increasing E2EE interoperability beyond just their own users. So, my comment about honeypotting was really uncalled for I think, and I apologize for that.

The OpenPGP proposal is interesting, but I couldn’t find anything on it. All I found was this below, which explains that email headers can’t be/aren’t encrypted, and subject is one of those, so that’s why. I have no clue what Proton was talking about, or where they got that info

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/cku293/cant_find_the_openpgp_subject_line_encryption/