Just once I’d like a post where everyone is chill and positive about stuff instead of focusing on negative

Edit: I dunno why I expect people to ever be capable of being positive anymore. Dunno why I bother.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

No. Honestly, I’m not but it is whatever. Think I’m gonna take a break from Lemmy for a couple days.

Have talked about how I lost my best friend a couple weeks ago over on Mastodon. Before finding that place, he was the only other person in my life who was a Trek fan and who liked Discovery. Moreover, he was positive. He had opinions of stuff he didn’t like but he focused on the positive. We both liked each other for that reason. In a world with so much negativity and hatred and bitterness, it was nice to be able to enjoy something together. However we both did shy away a lot from the Trek communities because of the often toxicity that brews against newer Treks. If we were online and encountered it, we’d go to one another. Talk about how silly other people were. How they claimed to be huge fans of Star Trek but often neglected the lessons of the show and wanted to be angry all the time. Couldn’t enjoy things for what they were and they certainly couldn’t let other people enjoy them.

He’s dead now and can’t say or do anything. They can. They’re still around.

I’m finding it really hard to deal with a lot of people online without him. So much negativity and it’s like the port that you’d shelter the storm in is suddenly gone. Just being tossed on the waves, drowning and being terrified and not having any light or anyone around.

Yesterday was just… not a good day. Nothing specific. I was just having a rough day and acted like a fool. Then me and my idiot self decided to post this meme about NuTrek and for some stupid reason I hoped that it would be positive this one time. Just once.

I’m tired of having rogue waves fling this vessel with reckless abandon.

I’m tired of feeling hopeless.

I’m tired of the reminders that he’s gone.

Tired of sitting here like a fucking idiot and crying over fucking internet comments because I’m too emotionally unstable to cope with anything. It’s the internet. People are always going to fucking suck. I shouldn’t have expected otherwise and I shouldn’t have posted this thinking anything else would happen. Also certainly shouldn’t have done it when my only crutch is gone.

It’s whatever. It’s my fault. I’m just being stupid. Sorry for whining and i’ll be back in a few days.

• Chetzemoka@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Stamets, I’m so sorry. I hadn’t heard. I’ve lost people under bad circumstances. It’s not fair. The world should stop, everything should stop moving and everyone should stop what they’re doing and acknowledge the depth of loss and the void left where they used to be. But it doesn’t stop moving and that’s not fucking right and it’s not fucking fair.

Please do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. Just do what’s next. Your only obligation in the world right now is to wake up and breathe. Everything else is bonus points. We’ll be here whenever you’re ready or even if you never want to talk to any of us again.

I’m so sorry that a good person is gone.

• MrPoopyButthole@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’d just like to remind you that you’re responsible for giving internet strangers like me uncontrollable laughs, warm fuzzy feelings, and a sense of community. Thank you for that. I’m sending my love and appreciation to you in hope that it helps you weather the storm in this difficult time 💙

• flicker@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Take some time for you.

I’ve lost a lot of people. A lot of friends. And you’re right, the internet is full of angry people who just want to be angry, but moreover, it’s chaotic and unpredictable. It sounds like you can use some extra grace, some extra protection, and some extra kindness. You would give it to anyone else in your position, so it’s the least you can do for you.

We haven’t really met, but don’t become a statistic. There’s not many of us left who made it. Each time we lose one more, that means those of us left have that much more to work for, but what we work for becomes that much more precious.

The world can handle itself for a couple days. Rest and regroup. Everything will still be there when you’re ready for it (if you ever are!)

• rockandsock@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re not stupid. Losing a close friend is a really tough thing and not something you just shrug off.

Sorry for your loss. Don’t let internet assholes make you feel bad for having feelings.

• PochoHipster@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Sorry for your loss stamets. Fwiw, I actually like Discovery too, even if I disagree vehemently with the Klingon makeup design choices made

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s fucking awful to lose a friend. I’m so sorry.

I think you’re right about taking a break from social media. It can get exhausting and depressing. So much toxicity, doom, negativity, etc. It can really drag a guy down. (I was going to skip it today as I’ve been in the dumps).

FWIW I have enjoyed the hell out of Discovery. I haven’t had a show hook me that much in a while. Not done binging yet, though. Some people really do like to rag on stuff. I think life is better when one focuses on the positive instead of always trying to pick shit apart. And it’s better for others to let them enjoy what they enjoy.

I’m sure any of us would be glad to give you “cover fire” anytime. I know I’m not alone in saying you’ve been a positive energy for Lemmy.

Anyway…yeah, things will feel better in a few days. People out there care, k? Peace.

• Numberone@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re right. I’m mostly a lurker and when I do want to say something it’s more often than not sarcastic and shitty. What you say hits home and really makes me regret some of my Lemmy history. I’m sorry that life is hitting you so hard, the world is such a mess now and it really is hard to stay positive. But that’s what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Sorry we’ve let you down. That’s on us. Look after yourself my fellow trekie. Take my thanks for all that you do for the community. You’re a Trekkie god among lurkers. Live long and prosper 🖖

• MashedPotatoJeff@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Losing a friend is so hard. It affected me in ways I never expected. Family is easier in some ways.

The kind people are out there, but they’re harder to see sometimes, especially on the internet. Hang in there, and be kind to yourself.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Damn, I’m only a stranger that’s been seeing you around, but I’ve always appreciated what you post, and loss sucks… indescribably bad. I hope things get better, and I wish you the best.

I’d send a hug but idk if that’s appropriate lol. Either way you deserve one.

• Thisfox@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Hugs mate.

There are those of us out here who like Discovery. We just happen not to be vocal enough. Take care of yourself and be kind. I enjoy your presence.

• GoodbyeBlueMonday@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I struggle to find what to say, because I’m just some random schmuck on the internet. Plenty of people post vile comments, so I’m going to post a saccharine one, in honor of your friend.

Others have said it already, but I’ll say it again because why not: your voice online has been a pleasure.

Grief is terrible, and I’m sorry you lost a loved one. I’m lucky enough to have a friend like the one you describe. We’re a big part of each others’ support system, and a lot of what we talk about winds up being Trek. I say that only to let you know that your grief will help me remember why I should cherish my friend, while we’re both around. Maybe that doesn’t do you any good, hopefully it doesn’t come across as selfish/insensitive on my part (if so, you have my apology in advance), but maybe it’s some consolation that you and your buddy are inspiring others who have never even met you. We all have an effect on people’s lives, whether we know when it happens or not. Just being some kind of role model, even in a small way, will influence people for the better. That’s my hope, anyway. So you and your buddy have clearly been doing this for a lot of us, here. I’m sure elsewhere. You don’t owe any of us anything, but I know seeing your positivity makes me smile.

• Wes_Dev@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t know you, but I hope things get better for you. I’ve been in that pit more times than I can count. Nothing I can say will pull you out. So, give yourself a big hug and take what time you need. Wishing you well.