• thelastknowngod@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is dumb.

You could do all that stuff with bash scripts but it would be a management nightmare. You’d also be completely reinventing the wheel.

If anyone seriously thinks this is a good idea, please post your LinkedIn so I know to never hire you.

• bradbeattie@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Totally possible to go overboard in either spectrum of complexity. But yeah, take Prometheus for example. It’s super easy to set up and does a great job of metrics. Reimplementing this in bash would require… a lot of work.

• nevemsenki@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It depends. I use k8s a lot, and annoyingly enough we still happen to use cronjobs and bash scripts to “automate” certain tasks. Maybe it’s inertia, but bash is certainly easy to fall back to…

• thelastknowngod@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah I am deep in the kube world as well. Since this industry-wide shift started happening, I feel like I write essentially no code anymore outside of bash scripts to glue things together. It’s essential but it’s not a replacement.

This cartoon seemed to me to be suggesting that you could implement the behavior of kube with bash. That’s obviously absurd.