• HipsterTenZero@dormi.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

SEO was a mistake, search engines should have remained mysterious and unknowable just like all of the other cryptids.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

That’s the point of SEO, it just got gamed and everyone lost their monkey minds when Google tried to tweek it to prevent the gamification

• beckerist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This was literally a result of how Google ranked pages on its site. Try looking up any recipe, or today’s wordle answer…

IGN isn’t great but it’s the #1 result because of exactly this.

• Pennomi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yup, SEO is a large contributing factor to the downfall of journalism.

• slaacaa@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Holy shit, the accuracy of this “article”. I laughed out loud in the fist paragraph, I always hate having to scroll through these filler texts and look for the answer

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I’ll tell you what pisses me off. I’m currently playing one of the greatest games ever made.

I googled something like, “how to find sidequest area”.

“You can do this before or after very important character dies.”

Suggested searches:

Can I cure the main character’s aids?

Can I prevent the death of other main character?

Can I prevent the death of beloved side character?

Why does the game end with this event?

I have been so fucking pissed.

• w3stley@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I am spoiled too about this fact. I’m so sad about it and I am still some hours away from it happening.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah I know it’s getting close for me too. I don’t want to ruin it for anyone but if you’re playing the same game as me, I just traveled up to the top of the map where those people clearly don’t want you there (the non quest npcs).

I absolutely love this character. I like that they made this choice because it brings so much life to him when faced with death. I can’t imagine it going any other way really.

Still, I wish I didn’t know. I wish I could have a little hope for him in the back of my mind.

I’m even engaging with the world differently like I’m the one dying. It’s crazy how good it is. It really is.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I know this is degrading, but bing actually beats Google here. And if you prefer the old google ui and bing search results: yahoo

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I remember being encouraged to write like this in school. It’s so dumb though. By the time I’ve read all the fluff I don’t even remember the topic. Why should I subject anyone else to this. Does the teacher really want to read this meaningless drivel 20-30 times?

• Seven@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I once received a verbal warning at work because my emails were too brief.

I have since moved to Spain where the email style is more brief and to the point. It is much better.

• Faresh@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think I once saw an email of a professor in response to a student’s question that looked something like this:

Dear [student name],

No.

Regards.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

As it should be, I figure. My work emails are pretty funny. Everyone follows standard letter format, but the main part is so short and minimal that it feels dumb to have used the proper greetings and closing format.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

At some point during uni with these kinds of texts, I just figured the teacher liked boring herself

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

What this post misses is that the GameFaqs page is on the 3rd page of search results, because it doesn’t pay for ads from Google, while the rest of the 1st page is full of “doctors’ recommendations” telling you that they’re really not as bad as apples.

• AscendantSquid@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What this comment misses is the GameFaqs page is on the front page because the search takes place in 2001.

• whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

fucking every site. Yesterday’s search “after credits the marvels.” The results:

The history of the Marvel company is in many ways a…

• nova_ad_vitum@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m pretty sure they’re using automated tools to generate this shit too. They just stuff it full of nonsense like a C-student in an English class trying to make a word count minimum.

The worst are articles about when you search when the new season of a show starts. You then get recommendations for junk articles, written just like this, that don’t even have the fucking answer.

The year it peaked is debatable , but the Internet on a whole is just getting worse.

• elauso@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Soon we will need AI summarizers to extract the tiny grains of useful information out of those bloated, AI-generated articles. We’ll come full circle, except everything is a bit more crappy and some people make more money…

• jol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Like SEO on steroids, articles written by AI will become longer and longer, while AI will try harder and harder to summarise it all. Article size will grow exponentially.

It’s 2032, each webpage is now 5 to 10 GB of Text and ads. 99.9% of the Web traffic is AI traffic. Roughly half is AI reading content to summarise it, the other is AI posting content.