• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

2024 the year of Linux. As long as we can avoid the toxic “don’t use Mint, use Arch instead users”.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Also the memey “xxxx the year of Linux”. Because that’s been going on for 40+ years now. 😅 You use it, or you don’t. Your OS is a tool, not a belief system.

• ogeist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

True it’s a tool. Just like a car. We get attached to one way of working with that tool, but then advancements come and a different tool starts to look interesting. Think gas->electric windows/mac->Linux.

• mark3748@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

That’s interesting, I remember reading a post to comp.os.minix about 32 years ago about a Finnish student who made his own OS. It was just a kernel that barely worked. Wish I’d known it was already dominant in the server space for over 8 years, could have gotten a head start!

• DickFiasco@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I hope that student’s project turned out ok, even if it’s not big and professional like GNU. Did he ever add support for non-AT hard disks?

• Arrakis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

So Linux has been dominating the server space since before it existed? Cool!

• i_stole_ur_taco@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

According to the last magazine I checked about this, 1997 is actually going to be the year of Linux on the desktop.

And this housing bubble is totally going to burst any day now, too.

• Chais@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I mean, if you like knowing what your machine is doing, Arch is one of the best options.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

It’s also ironically easier to use day-to-day than some other commonly suggested distros. Sure something like Mint or Pop_OS is much much easier to set up but later on when you need a newer version or something that isn’t in the repos. Too bad! That doesn’t exist. Time hunt down a PPA and hope it’s trustworthy.

With Arch 99.9% of the time if it’s not in the main repos it’s in the AUR. And since it’s rolling there’s no worry of doing the big upgrades (been seeing plenty of posts about issues with the transition from Fedora 38 -> 39 lately). I have daily driven Arch for almost 10 years now and there have only been a handful of times across that whole span where a pacman -Syu actually broke something.

• ares35@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

debian has never broken anything here in twenty+ years of use. I’VE broken shit, but debian never has.

• Chais@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

It’s comparatively easy to not break things if you’re like ten years behind. 😉 But sure, Debian takes pride in its stability. I just like having recent versions of everything.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

To be fair it is always my fault when things break not Arch’s. It’s not like Arch does anything on its own.

• Fal@yiffit.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’ve literally never had a Debian or Ubuntu dist upgrade go smoothly. It’s infuriating being on ancient tools, then randomly getting a giant dump up upgrades to slightly newer ancient tools that ends up breaking all kinds of shit

• Chais@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Completely agree. Ran Arch for about 10 years and had like three breakages that were all my fault (didn’t read news before a manual intervention. Once the battery died). But every time I could fix that by booting the current live image. No data loss.

• Makeitstop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Honestly, I’ve been thinking about switching to Linux with my next system since about a month after I built my current system, over 4 years ago. That’s how long it took for me to be sick of Microsoft’s bullshit in Windows 10.

That said, I’m not looking forward to figuring out how to get into Linux. It’s probably easier than I think, but having done 0 research (as I don’t need a new system yet), the impression I have is that there’s a ton of stuff I’m going to have to figure out before getting started.

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Start with a live CD version (a USB thumb drive acts as your C: ) or a virtual machine (like VirtualBox and install Linux on it) just to try things out. Then do a full switch when ready.

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Linux has a learning curve that’s steep to the average Windows or Mac user. The guys suggesting Arch are saying it’s easier than the other distros, but you have to remember that most of those coming from the other two aren’t going to know what a command line is. I had to guide someone through it when they wanted to install VMware on Pop!_OS, I would not put them on Arch. (And to those suggesting the AUR, that still needs a command line and now you need to inspect the PKGBUILD for security purposes.)

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If you’ve got a spare USB drive, have a look at Ventoy. It’s a program that lets you put multiple ISOs (disc images) onto a drive and select which one to boot from at startup.

Most distros have free bootable ISOs to download, which let you try that distro without installing it. They usually have an installer built in so that you can install your chosen distro from a desktop environment.

Installation is probably the trickiest part, but even that’s not too bad as long as you pay attention. Once you’re on the desktop, it’s as easy to use as Windows.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s at the same time much easier and much harder than you think. You’ll have most of it working very easily and then find some little thing annoying you with some tool and take days to find a replacement that feels just right.

• asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The main thing that we need imo is something like SteamOS that is installable on every PC and has the backing of valve, sadly it’s still limited to the deck

becouse it may not be the perfect desktop OS experience (for your average linux user anyway), but game mode is absolutely a game changer for people who just want to play games on their computer 90% of the time

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes support from a major company would set a Linux flavor as a general public friendly option. Right now the fracture between all the Linux versions is a deterrent for beginners.

• 0x4E4F@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I really thought it’s harder, I really did… turns out it’s not.

2 basic set of commands for upgrading and purging: xbps-install -Suv and xbps-remove -ROov, that’s it.

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Even on my Mac I end up pulling Terminal more and more to do things. Not everything though but some things are easier.

• 0x4E4F@infosec.pub
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

To be completely honest… I’m more comfortable with the terminal now.

Asimilation complete 🤣.