• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean for tech stuff it’s fantastic. I could spend 30 minutes working out a regex to grep the logs in the format I need or I could have a back and forth with ChatGPT and get it sorted in 5.

I still don’t want it to write my TV or movies. Or code to a significant degree.

• Colonel Sanders@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

On the flip side, anytime I’ve tried to use it to write python scripts for me, it always seems to get them slightly wrong. Nothing that a little troubleshooting can’t handle, and certainly helps to get me in the ballpark of what I’m looking for, but I think it still has a little ways to go for specific coding use cases.

• TheSaneWriter@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think the key there is that ChatGPT isn’t able to run its own code, so all it can do is generate code which “looks” right, which in practice is close to functional but not quite. In order for the code it writes to reliably work, I think it would need a builtin interpreter/compiler to actually run the code, and for it to iterate constantly making small modifications until the code runs, then return the final result to the user.

• icosahedron@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The new code interpreter is able to run its own code, but i haven’t personally tested it to see if its code is more often functional.

• Sheltac@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It can even deal with basic algebra, it’s awesome. I can’t be fucked to work out this 16-var linear system, or even to write out the sympy to do it.

But guess who is?

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I for one welcome our SkyNet overlords. They can’t be much worse than the current global leaders…

• Karyoplasma
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I always say “please” and “thank you” when using chatGPT. When the AI finally takes over and subsequently and inevitably concludes that the world would be a better place without humans, it may remember that myself specifically was always friendly. Maybe it’ll then have the courtesy to nuke my house directly instead of making me ultimatively succumb to nuclear winter.

• Karyoplasma
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I use ChatGPT to romanize Farsi script from song texts and such. There is no other tool that works even remotely well and the AI somehow knows how to properly transliterate.

• gamer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s genius! I’ve been trying to figure out how to incorporate ChatGPT-like bots into my work, but haven’t found it to be that useful. I don’t write a lot of regex, but hate it every time I do, so I’ll definitely be trying this next time I need it.

• mikelykzit@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

OMG. Using it for RegEx searches! How had that not even crossed my mind?

I’ve tried learning RegEx basics and using some websites to point me in the right direction when a specific use comes up, but tuning the search string correctly usually takes longer than it’s been worth. Off to ChatGPT it is!

• pressanykeynow@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’d use it with caution as there are no small mistakes in regex - any can lead to big problems, and ChatGPT does often give wrong or not entirely correct answers.

• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

You need to know regex to use it with chatgpt as it’s generally wrong on the first go. I use regex 101 to verify before I run it on anything.

Take the udemy course on regex if you’re having trouble getting it. It’s fantastic and you’ll go from 20 to a 100 real fast.