Also, how did you get into it, and what sort of education or certifications (if any) did you need?

And if you were to get into the same niche today, would you? (And in some cases–COULD you, or has the door closed?)

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is an absolutely boring one, but did you know part of your seatbelt, right now, could just be colored in?

How about your seat cover? Your steering wheel? Some poor bastard had to go get that out of stock, bring it into repair, go over the entire lot, and take a special pencil to color in those little scratches, or mark it as unrepairable.

I was that bastard for awhile. It sucked. 10 hours going over whatever needed checking that day. An “exciting” day meant a defect hit the line and we needed to hunt it down, hopefully without stopping production.

“Repair” can cover a lot of things, and that was the worst repair work I’ve ever done.

• ALostInquirer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Some poor bastard had to go get that out of stock, bring it into repair, go over the entire lot, and take a special pencil to color in those little scratches, or mark it as unrepairable.

…This is so simple it’s making me ask to be sure…This specific repair gig was…Coloring in scratches?

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

For the most part, all for customer-visible auto parts.

Other team got anything mechanical. We were purely visual.