Also, how did you get into it, and what sort of education or certifications (if any) did you need?

And if you were to get into the same niche today, would you? (And in some cases–COULD you, or has the door closed?)

• justhach@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I dont know if its really “Lesser Known”, but pest control is a very interesting field to work in and isnt often talked about in many circles.

Its essentially future proof, as we’re always going to have pests. Its one of those jobs where its the same enough every day that you get a little better, but different enough from call to call to keep you challenged and stay interested.

I wished that I had even considered it an open back in High School and gone to college/university to actually study pests in an academic setting, and be able to participate in some of the groundbreaking work taking place currently.

• smashboy@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Has it ever happened that you accidentally took some pests (like bed bugs or cockroaches) home in your clothes or bag and infected your own home with it?

• justhach@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Nah. I mean, it can happen, and really only with bedbugs, but only if you’re not careful.

Roaches have no interest in being on your person, so.its not like they’re going to hitch a ride home with you. If I were to, say, take home a cardboard box from a heavily infested unit, then maybe (they loooove corrugated boxes), but that fall under “not careful”.

Bed bugs are pretty much the same. I mean, if you give a bear hug to a mattress that is heavily infested, then there is a chance that one could make it onto you and you bring it home, but theyre actually not that great at holding on (they are not like ticks where they latch on).

My only precaution is an ocular patdown of myself when I leave a unit, and as soon as I get home, my uniform goes into the dryer on High for 40 minutes to kill anything in the off chance I brought a bed bug or an egg home with me.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

For one glorious summer I was a small boat sailing instructor at a summer camp. My life was sitting on the beach and teaching kids to sail. I had a wonderful tan, and sun bleached hair. My life was stress free and wonderful. I got into it by learning how to sail at that very camp, and applying for the job. It paid minimum wage, but it also came with free room and board, and I was a kid, so I didn’t really need any money anyways.

• havokdj@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Not in this field anymore, but used to be a landscaper for a handful of years.

A lot of people think that landscaping is just grass cutting, but it’s called that because you are literally scaping the land, and sometimes beyond that.

Hell, roof work, foundation laying, pressure washing, among other things, have been a part of my duties during my time in that field.

• dingus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I work in the surgical pathology department in a hospital.

Anything you get removed from surgery comes to me to be examined. Then I describe what I have and what sort of pathology I can see with the naked eye. I select and cut out pieces of tissue that are important to the case. The tissue undergoes further processing and eventually reaches the desk of a pathologist (a type of physician) who examines the tissue microscopically, forms a diagnosis, and ultimately signs out the case.

My job can assist with several things depending on the case…

1. To help the clinician confirm or determine what type of lesion or disease process the patient has
    2. To document and confirm that a surgery was necessary
    3. To stage cancer cases
    4. To determine whether or not a cancer or lesion has been completely removed from the patient and there is none left inside their body
    5. To make sure the patient does not have an unsuspected cancer

I see everything from tiny boring specks of tissue they biopsy during a colonoscopy to large cancer resection cases.

The other day, I got an almost entirely necrotic above the knee amputation with maggots. A few days before that I got a 9 lb spleen. It’s fun in the lab.

In the US, my job generally requires a very specialized 2 year master’s degree (on top of a bachelor’s degree in any subject). In other countries, the role of my job can be fulfilled by different types of people depending on the country and education will be different.

I found out about the job on Google lol. I was looking for something hands on in healthcare or anatomy related, but I didn’t like patient contact. I would probably select this career again if I had a second go around. It pays pretty well and is interesting. But grad school in the US is very expensive.

• Shocker_Khan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

From 2005 to 2008 in South Florida I created and ran a permit expediting company. It came from my mom managing a construction company, them having too many contracts, and not enough contractors to run their own permits. I saw a need and got together with a couple of friends to incorporate.

We pitched it to the owner of the company my mom managed and got a contract from them. We eventually picked up other companies as well.

So the job went like this: one of us be assigned to a specific geographic area or company for the day, we would stop by the office, pick up the paperwork for whatever permits had to be filed, retrieved, delivered.

We would visit the city building department and depending on the city (each ran things in drastically different ways with no consistency) we would be there for 15 minutes or all day. Some permits would be a quick, single day turnaround or could be in bureaucratic hell for a month or two. We’d charge based on the complexity and time involved in getting permits approved. Then we would either deliver the permits to the contractor or the job site. On occasion we would deliver liens to customers who didn’t pay their bills which could sometimes get dangerous.

The only people I’ve ever met that did this exact type of work were people I met within city building departments. It’s a relatively boring, but uncommon profession.

The job came with all kinds of weird knowledge that I’ve never had to use again, like how many palm trees on the property equal a shade tree for the purpose of landscaping requirements. Than answer back then was 3.

The company was born out of a construction boom after Hurricane Katrina and died during the housing market crash of 2008.

Edited for spelling and sentence structure.

Also edit: sometimes getting permits approved would involve meeting with city engineers, making corrections on engineering documents, and just having a good rapport with the city.

Also, currently I am a change control analyst for a telecom company. My job description literally says “protect the network”. Essentially network engineers submit projects to me, I check the projects for accuracy, impact risk, importance, etc. A lot of the time, I reject work because of errors, cutting corners, not enough preparation, etc.

My job is to balance the projects being done VS how many customers I want to piss off because their services get taken down. My engineers either absolutely love me, or would like to have the opportunity to stab me in a dark alley, there really is no in between. Generally the ones I reject often for crap work are the ones that also want to stab me.

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is an absolutely boring one, but did you know part of your seatbelt, right now, could just be colored in?

How about your seat cover? Your steering wheel? Some poor bastard had to go get that out of stock, bring it into repair, go over the entire lot, and take a special pencil to color in those little scratches, or mark it as unrepairable.

I was that bastard for awhile. It sucked. 10 hours going over whatever needed checking that day. An “exciting” day meant a defect hit the line and we needed to hunt it down, hopefully without stopping production.

“Repair” can cover a lot of things, and that was the worst repair work I’ve ever done.

• ALostInquirer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Some poor bastard had to go get that out of stock, bring it into repair, go over the entire lot, and take a special pencil to color in those little scratches, or mark it as unrepairable.

…This is so simple it’s making me ask to be sure…This specific repair gig was…Coloring in scratches?

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

For the most part, all for customer-visible auto parts.

Other team got anything mechanical. We were purely visual.

• LegionEris [she/her]@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It’s becoming more common, but I work in the cannabis industry. People don’t tend to know much about exactly what I do and how weed sales works. The education and certification side of this is actually super unique. You do have to get a basic agent ID, but it’s really more of a background check than anything. But, because the rec market is so very new here, you are basically required to have broken the law extensively to have the knowledge and experience needed to sell weed. Everyone I work with has a criminal past, even if they never got busted. I talked about buying psychedelics on the darkweb in my interview, and my HR person knew exactly what the fuck I was talking about. It’s just one of the many wonderful things about working in cannabis <3

• philpo@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I work in disaster planning - so if you want a really good disaster to happen then give me a call.

To be more serious:

I write disaster response plans mostly for the medical field, e.g. hospitals, nursing homes. That starts with ordinary fires and flooding, but also includes things like “IT outtakes”(which kill far more people than fire each year), “supply line collaps”, etc.

We also train staff, mostly management, and conduct full scale exercises. Additionally I write medical intelligence and evacuation reports. These are basically “plans” for aid workers, expats. that go to risky places: “Oh, I broke my leg in bumfuck nowhere South Sudan! What now? Is there a hospital? Which one do I go to? Which one has actual doctors? Is there a chance that a medical evacuation plane can reach me?”

Originally I am a critical care paramedic and I am currently studying towards (another) master degree in healthcare management. Before I founded my current company I worked as a consultant for various healthcare related firms, before that as an ambulance service director.

But mass casualty situations always were “my thing” and the multi-stakeholder approach I take during planning talking to basically all roles in a hospital, from the higher ups to the guy in charge of waste disposal, is something I enjoy immensely.

• IonAddis@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I bet Covid got you a lot of fun data to play with re: “supply line collapse”.

I’ve always been interested in work like this–I took a class that covered lean manufacturing and kept thinking about how “just in time” inventory seemed like it’d be awful for a hospital, as the hospital would be MOST needed if supply lines collapsed, and JIT stuff seemed a dumb move. But I was only spitballing on the surface as an outsider.

• Getawombatupya@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

And mass casualty events are generally centred around population centres. If a train hits that bus in bumfuck, it’s six hours before triage and transport

• philpo@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah, thankfully in central Europe our “bumfuck nowhere” still means that some infrastructure is reachable within 120min usually - and as long as the weather permits we throw dozens of helicopters at it.

Personally I am far more afraid of other scenarios therefore.

• Kilnier@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a kiln operator. I run a giant oven to dry red and white pine.

Dropped out of uni. Various retail and tech jobs for about 12 years. 4 years disability. Took an interview at a lumber mill because ‘cool tour’, took a job because ‘paycheck for a little while anyway’. Ran a planer for about 6 weeks and then offered kiln operator when their previous was poached.

On the job learning for me with the caveat that it was not a reasonable expectation to set. Typically one works under a senior operator for about two years not ‘you’re on your own but you’re good at google right?’

Certified by my work for government heat treatment programs, front loader/forklift operation and working at heights. One of those jobs where mindset is more important than education.

Would I do it again? Yes? I’d want more money for the work. There’s not a lot of people who will write an algorithm to interpret the data they gather in a 50c box. It’s a really intense combination of intellectual and manual labor and the compromise seems to be to plop the pay in the middle. Good pay for a lumber mill but shit pay for developing processes, an inventory system and an entire goddamned iOS app(that my boss didn’t even understand much less appreciate).

I wouldn’t expect the door to be open again in the future. There’s not a lot of kilns to run, they are increasingly automated and it’s a job people hold til retirement. The manager who hired me took a massive gamble on a physically disabled but intelligent person so that’s not easy to find either. Owner runs under the ‘warm body is better than no body’ premise. There’s not even any other mills close enough with kilns that I have other employment opportunities. I’ve got a very specific and reasonably lucrative skill set for a rare job.

• kralk@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Ok are you the guy to blame for this dripping wet, warped shit I’m paying through the nose for?

• Kilnier@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Someone like me…sort of.

Warp is more about the piling and stickering of the packs going into the kiln. Wet you can mitigate at home but once a warp is set you’re pretty much screwed.

The mill should have some sort of quality control in place to communicate these issues between the kilns and stacker crew. Find a different mill to buy from. Anything warped is pulled out before the planer at my mill and then sold as rough outs or goes to the chipper.

Ever seen 20 feet high of stacked lumber sway in the wind? Stickering can be a huge safety issue alongside quality.

• IonAddis@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I imagine if you took two seconds to contemplate how too many small businesses are run, you could figure out it’s shit management from your local companies and not this particular kiln operator.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I have a typical job, but just today I was reading an article about different types of potatoes, and they quoted a post harvest potato physiologist.

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a designer, which is a well-known profession, but I design substations, which almost no one I’ve run into has heard of.

Substations are like giant jungle-gyms for electricity. They’re a grouping of electric structures that transfer high-voltage electricity to low-voltage, or low voltage to high voltage. They’re a major part of our electricity distribution system. You drive by at least one every day, most likely.

I got into it by chance. Right place, right time. I went back to school and got my AS in drafting for industrial design and manufacturing. I applied to this job on accident, thinking it was for manufacturing, then when I was offered an interview, accepted it despite the mixup. Why not? They offered about double what other jobs were for a drafter, so I took it.

8 months into the job, a designer position opened up, so I interviewed for that and got the promption!

Door is still wide open, despite the general idea that drafters are becoming less of a demand. Based on my experience, they’re sorely needed, especially for civil jobs. Also I get paid higher than a friend of mine who got her masters in interior architecture (also a drafting/design gig), with just my AS. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. Totally worth it.

• IonAddis@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My school dropped their computer aided drafting degree due to (I think) Covid making instructors impossible to find.

So I’ve a half-done drafting degree, and naturally places like yours won’t touch me, heh. Gonna have to redo a bunch of credits.

• Aux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Doesn’t your country just have a few standard designs you just copy/paste everywhere?

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Even with standard components, you’re still dealing with a wide variety of different sized city blocks with different types of buildings and industries, different grid layouts, etc. You also have to plan for potential future changes in load. Even if you have a large part you can copy-paste you still need to check all requirements and design the interconnections

• Aux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I see. It’s just that here in the UK a lot of infrastructure like that is literally just copy paste boxes. I’m from a xUSSR country originally and there all the infrastructure is just factory built all the same stuff. Something custom is super rare. I guess everyone knows copy pasted Soviet house blocks, so yeah, infrastructure is the same.

• thrawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a geologist, but not the fun kind that gets to look at actual rocks.

I do environmental and some geotechnical work, which pretty much boils down to “Is the dirt poisoned?” and “How hard do I have to squish the dirt to make the future building not fall down?” There’s few things to get excited about, but it’s steady work and pays the bills.

• chert@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

For me it’s “is there a possibility the dirt is poisoned?” (Phase Is) and “is the dirt poisoned enough that you have to do something about it?”

• Sheldybear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I work in a museum adapting internationally touring exhibitions to align with their host communities. It’s a great career - there’s travel, I get to see behind the scenes of museum collections, and I get to study other cultures as a job. I do get paid to match the fact that I work for a charity.

My background is in the museum sector, which you can get into either through a PhD in study of a relevant field to the specific museum, or through a graduate program in museum/ conservation studies (which is what I did).

So far as I can tell, there are only a handful of people that do this job globally, which I suppose makes it lesser known!

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m an environmental chamber technician. I fix and test the equipment that does all of the temperature and humidity testing for most electronics from consumer grade stuff to stuff that is literally going into space. Basically an environmental chamber is just a programable box that is refrigerated and/or heated that you put stuff into to see how it performs at different temperatures. The ones I work on also often have programable humidity levels for testing equipment under basically any normal atmospheric conditions. The ones I work with are anywhere between the size of a household microwave and slightly larger than Volkswagen Beetle. The ones that don’t use liquid nitrogen can manage temperatures anywhere between 200C and -75C. The liquid nitrogen ones can of course manage temps as low as liquid nitrogen gets.

As far as education and certifications go, there isn’t much. In the US you do need an EPA 608 certification to work with refrigerants but that only cost like $100 (my employer covered it) and it’s a lifetime certification. Everything else was just on the job training. I just got mentored by some coworkers, did some independant study, and practiced. The biggest thing is just haveing a technical mindset. Troubleshooting is troubleshooting so basically if you’re someone who can usually figure out how to fix things on their own then odds are you could do my job with minimal refrigeration training.

As far as getting into the same niche today, I definitely would if I could find the job (it’s not all that common). I love working with refrigeration and troubleshooting these machines scratches tha puzzle solving itch in my brain. It’s fun to see the unique options that certain customers get like water cooled systems or liquid nitrogen boost units. Also seeing as how these machines need to be benchmarked at a known ambient temp, it is one the very few refrigeration related jobs that you get to do from a strictly climate controlled building. It is always exactly 23C in my work area because that’s exactly what our testing spec calls for. To top it all off the pay isn’t bad. I could be making a bit more in normal HVAC but not much more and, unlike HVAC, my equipment comes to me in my climate controlled shop. I don’t have to climb up on a roof when it’s 40C outside to fix someone’s AC.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I work in the Conference and Events dept of my local college. We’re essentially the official school party planners.