Also, how did you get into it, and what sort of education or certifications (if any) did you need?

And if you were to get into the same niche today, would you? (And in some cases–COULD you, or has the door closed?)

• kralk@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Ok are you the guy to blame for this dripping wet, warped shit I’m paying through the nose for?

• Kilnier@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Someone like me…sort of.

Warp is more about the piling and stickering of the packs going into the kiln. Wet you can mitigate at home but once a warp is set you’re pretty much screwed.

The mill should have some sort of quality control in place to communicate these issues between the kilns and stacker crew. Find a different mill to buy from. Anything warped is pulled out before the planer at my mill and then sold as rough outs or goes to the chipper.

Ever seen 20 feet high of stacked lumber sway in the wind? Stickering can be a huge safety issue alongside quality.

• IonAddis@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I imagine if you took two seconds to contemplate how too many small businesses are run, you could figure out it’s shit management from your local companies and not this particular kiln operator.