• twistypencil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’d be fine if Larian improved the mechanics, constantly iterating on making a better and better D&D engine and put out new modules using it. Ditch the Baldurs Gate name and mythos, and implement existing D&D modules with their engine. That cash cow could milk itself, and every D&D nerd out there would be in heaven

• Lesrid@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’ve said this to the folks I’ve played BG3 with. I don’t even care if the one-off campaigns aren’t voiced or just narrated by one voice. Just release the standalone adventures and I will buy them all.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They had to use an existing IP that’s famous among anyone that’s old enough to have been playing games 20 years ago to get this success. Even with the Divinity games under their belt, the BG title made lots of people take notice.

Now they can probably start doing big original games, but it’s going to take a long time to build that kind of setting from scratch. Like, years and years of writing and they still won’t have the depth of BG3 for a couple games.

I’m sure if they do it, it’ll be good. But a completely new IP is going to add a lot of time to development

• SadTrain@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Hell, I wish they’d release a standalone client for custom campaigns. D:OS2 did a pretty good job with it, but it’s not on 5E ruleset.

Every other tool I’ve tried to use for 5E online campaigns is clunky. They have the groundwork and a ton of available assets already there.

• thedirtyknapkin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

yeah, I’ve heard there’s “official” tools in the works for that, so this is almost certainly a licensing issue.

• cmbabul@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I just thought about this last night, of they clips get the rights and wrote a Star Wars story it would the perfect successor to KotOR

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Witcher 2 made CD Projekt Red recognized.

Witcher 3 made them very famous.

Which lead to the incredible scope creep and promises of Cyberpunk 2077 that had a bad launch and many years of crunch to fix, then even firing staff afterwards.

Gaining worldwide acclaim is a double edge sword.

• Андрей Быдло@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

So much anticipation would make anyone nervous, especially on projects as large as that. Hope they won’t be too fixated on copying this victory and will have enough creative freedom to organically do something fresh and impressive.

• No_@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Work on this one first? Planning the “next big thing” just means this one will stop getting support for bugs and extra content… Don’t turn into a AAA studio, Larian…

• DacoTaco@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Oh they arent done with baldur’s gate 3, im sure and the previous few months of patching and content changes proved that.
      However, a company should always plan ahead and think of the next thing. Larian has always done so like they should, but have given their current stuff much love.

Sven isnt wrong in what he is saying either, and we all fear that. But for now, they are golden.
      This is all future talk, for when the baldurs gate wave eventually collapses.