Over the past 48 hours, r/gaming has participated in the Reddit-wide blackout in protest of the API pricing changes Reddit is planning to roll out. Over those 48 hours, the behaviour of the Reddit admins has been disappointing. Admin has been stepping in and allegedly removing moderators and forcing closed subreddits open, to keep their revenue coming in, and the Reddit CEO has dismissed the Redditor’s concerns, saying it will all blow over.

The mod team here has considered keeping the subreddit private to continue the protest, but we said we would close down for 48 hours and we did, therefore we need to go public to hear your comments and discussion points. We as moderators are internally discussing further actions amongst ourselves, however we will be influenced if there is a strong message coming from the sub.

• @RisingGrace@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1911 months ago

I am hoping subs go indefinite or stop moderation altogether, which might do more than just going dark. Seems like not much has changed with the 48 hour protest

• Dojan
      link
      fedilink
      English
      811 months ago

A moderation strike sounds like a brilliant idea.

• Chainweasel
        link
        fedilink
        English
        811 months ago

I didn’t get banned but my post with a link to a Lemmy community was delisted without being removed within 10 min and the sub mods had no knowledge of it and couldn’t view it to approve it.

• @slin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    811 months ago

Every sub should go offline indefinitely. There is no point in allowing discussing on reddits server as that will only generate views for Reddit.

• @naxsat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    411 months ago

I knew they would eventually start removing mods from the top subreddits but man… Hope some other subs reopen and close again If the respective communities don’t mind

• @7egend@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

2 Days is nothing, a week is something, a month is better. 2 Days is nothing but a blip or a little bit of noise, even the CEO’s statement sent to employees made it out to be nothing. Honestly, the blackout should have been a month long thing and should have been announced as a month long. And even then, a month might not be long enough.

My biggest qualm so far with the blackout is how useless Google has become when searching for information on something, it’s become a glorified Reddit search engine, which in itself is terrifying that so much technical information is confined to a singular place.

• RandomDude
    link
    fedilink
    English
    211 months ago

I agree with @RisingGrace@lemmy.world, it needs to be indefinite for Reddit to actually feel pain. 48 hours does nothing. We all know no matter what Reddit won’t change the API pricing, so to make it actually effective, it should be indefinite AT LEAST until Reddit goes public. That’s where they will truly feel the pain