• @morrowind@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    216 months ago

Would also recommend Brodie Robertson. Some of his videos are just reading articles and not contributing much, but some are quite useful.

• @CalcProgrammer1@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      66 months ago

Also Brodie’s podcast Tech Over Tea. I was on the podcast so I’m a bit biased, but he has a lot of open source developers from different projects on and they are always interesting.

• taanegl
      link
      fedilink
      06 months ago

Brodie is a great “summarizer”. Its nice to keep tabs on the goings on between the development and developers of various desktop projects and backend developers.

• z3rOR0ne
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Linux Cast is…okay. The long form conversation format episodes are usually better than when its just Matt.

Brodie should definitely be at the top of this list. He works in tech, devotes himself emphatically to the subject of Linux, has some really amazing guests on his Tech Over Tea Podcast, and is imho THE Linux YouTuber atm.

Chris Titus Tech is more an honorable mention, as his channel focuses equally on Windows and Linux, but he has some amazing scripts for iptables configurations, and optimizing gaming on Linux, amongst other related topics.

The Linux Experiment is great for quick recap of Linux News. Learn Linux TV is great for Linux sysadmin tips.

I don’t care for Distrotube, I won’t go into details except to say I don’t support Trump. Similar sentiments go for the Bible thumper, Luke Smith, whom doesn’t really post much Linux content any more afaik. I will admit they did post useful bash scripts from time to time though.

Trafotin and Bugswriter are interesting channels in the Linux Youtube space that I think are worth checking out.

Overall though, if you’re looking for quality Linux content on Youtube that keeps you informed and up to date. You can’t go wrong with Brodie Robertson, The Linux Experiment, and Learn Linux TV. That’s all you really need imho.

• @CalcProgrammer1@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      46 months ago

I got to be on the Tech Over Tea podcast! I really enjoyed talking with Brodie and would definitely recommend his main channel as well as Tech Over Tea. There is another podcast I sometimes watch called Linux Game Cast too.

• @WildlyCanadian@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      36 months ago

Yeah I kinda lost interest in Distrotube when he started randomly pulling out guns in videos…

Like, I don’t care what your political views are as long as you make good content and stay on topic, and keep your views and work separate yaknow. Like hell, if you want to make separate videos about that then by all means, but I’m watching a tutorial on how to set up openbox I don’t care about your guns and freedoms

• @Grangle1@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      26 months ago

I like to think of (and recommend) three of the channels on the list based on one’s experience and how “deep” they want to go with Linux:

Linux Experiment is great for the “average desktop user” (like myself), someone who’s not too interested in programming or development and just wants to keep up with Linux-related news that relates to the average user and find cool tools to use with whatever distro or system you’re running.

Brodie is “mid-level”, I’d say, he looks at some of the more technical stuff but presents it in a way that relates to how a more average user would be interested in the thing he’s talking about. He talks about a good amount of dev stuff, but It’s still useful information generally for most Linux users out there, from folks who are just above " beginner level" to more advanced users.

DT (DistroTube) is for “power users” mainly, I think. He says he doesn’t really do development or programming, then makes a bunch of scripts to change up a bunch of window manager settings and goes hardcore into writing stuff for Emacs. He says he’s not a distro maintainer, then goes and takes his scripts and makes them into his own distro. For most of his videos, even if he takes you through what he’s doing step-by-step, you kinda have to know what you’re doing with the tools he’s using to know what’s going on. He talks about a lot of things like window managers and development and configuration tools the “average user” who just wants to do basic stuff on their desktop probably won’t know a whole lot about.

• @Prunebutt@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    96 months ago

I really can’t stand Linux Cast’s style and don’t get why he is on this and not Brodie Robertson.

Linux cast is just rambling most of the time, having a hard time getting to the point, while Brodie has some wit and humor. I also don’t like his clickbait video titles and how every second video feels like it’s about tiling WMs (we get it: tiling WMs are cool).

I’m aware that this might just be an involuntary anti-fat bias speaking, though.

• Footnote2669
      link
      fedilink
      26 months ago

I have the opposite opinion lol I hate how Brodie posts every damn day and spamming my subscriptions, plus I could probably read an article for 2 mins instead of watching his 10-15min video. I prefer Linux Cast much more

• Lunya \ she/it
    link
    fedilink
    86 months ago

TL;DR:

1. The Linux Cast
    2. The Linux Experiment
    3. Veronica Explains
    4. DistroTube
    5. TechHut
    6. Chris Titus Tech
    7. Nicco Loves Linux
    8. Gardiner Bryant
    9. Learn Linux TV
    10. InfinitelyGalactic
  • Responsabilidade
    link
    fedilink
    86 months ago

For those who speaks portuguese or for those who don’t mind to read subtitle to understand the video, I really recommend Diolinux

For me this is the best channel about linux and technology.

• Steve
    link
    fedilink
    English
    76 months ago

I’m already following The Linux Experiment. It’s great that there are other channels to consider!

• @cyberwolfie@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    76 months ago

Learn Linux TV is number one for me - his Linux Crash Course has been an immense help in getting started using Linux for me.

• @darcmage@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    66 months ago

I’ve been trying harder to diversify my youtube content. Please share links to visible minority (from a western pov) creators who post similar content. Why are there so few?

Novaspirit Tech

• @butter@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    66 months ago

I used to love Bryant Gardener when he was The Linux gamer.

But since the announcement of the steam deck, his view has narrowed far too much. He hasn’t made a non deck video in like a year.

• @theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    46 months ago

I would also add Brodie to the list, and I follow 7 of them. I have kinda tried to steer clear of DT because I’m not a fan of some of his off-topic videos. There are 2 I don’t follow: Veronica Explains (I was going to check her channel out, but forgot) and Gardiner Bryant (this is literally the first time I’m seeing or hearing about this guy, so I will go check him out)