I first saw this on reddit, but I figured it would be good to make sure that this also stays accessible on another platform

• Moskus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This list feel a little dated. On the top of my head I’d add “Visual Studio Code” for programming, Cakewalk for music composition, and Davinci Resolve for video editing.

• Mane25@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This seems to be really dated, shouldn’t really be promoting things like OpenOffice now.

• psilves1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Jesus this list is old.

No VS Code? Dropbox as your storage? No GroupMe/Discord for group chats?

• kurosawaa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was looking for it on here. GIMP is way too difficult for most people. Krita feels like it can do just about everything an amateur would want to do with Photoshop and makes it painless.

• I_like_cats@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This list is mostly not software. It’s free as in free beer but free software mostly describes free as in freedom. That means open source and free to copy, redistribute and modify. Which a lot of these are not

• celerate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It really bugs me after all these years that we haven’t simply started calling Open Source software just OSS or Open Software to get rid of the ambiguity.

The whole, that’s “free” software, not “FREE” software thing is older than sin and I think it might be Richard Stallman’s fault we even have this discussion.

• I_like_cats@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But Open Source Software isnt neccesarily free software. For example Chromium is Open Source but not Free Software. That’s why the distinction is needed

• SubmarineDoor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m sympathetic to your idea of calling it OSS or Open Software. But Richard Stallman and people who agree with his arguments really stress the “freedom” of what they call free software. They lost that battle ages ago, but they aren’t going to give it up since it’s more than just pedantry, it’s a value statement.

• static09@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Note taking software has changed a lot over the years since this image was made. Obsidian, Logseq, and Trillium Notes being some of the more preferred note taking apps around.

There are a few others but I can’t remember them off the top of my head.

• celerate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If love to see Python under “Data and Statistics”.

The whole list seems old though, are all of those programs still available? I suspect there are other great new programs that could go on a list like this.

• Lux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A bit dated as Moskus also said. Skip on OpenOffice in favor of LibreOffice for example.

• Zangoose@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Most students have probably used Google drive by now, but it’s still worth adding. Additionally, I personally find Overleaf to be great for LaTeX documents.

Edit: Also worth mentioning Notion for note-taking/studying/planning, and if slack is on the list for study groups, discord might as well be also. This might be because I’m a CS major, but nearly every class I’ve taken has had students make a discord server for studying/working on homework

• unceme@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I would not really recommend LaTeX or any of those other programs just for writing student papers. LaTeX is for academic papers and it’s pretty cumbersome and technical to learn, it would be very very extra to use it for writing just like your random freshman comp paper. I’m not sure why that list doesn’t have LibreOffice or OpenOffice or whatever.

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We’re not all first-year undergrads. Writing your PhD thesis? Sure, have a look at LaTeX. Also, the list has both of those office suites at the top. It’s a long list, but sometimes that is good when you are looking for alternatives.