Tumblr plans to make changes to appeal to new users and improve growth. The post states that Tumblr is currently difficult for new users to use and curates content poorly. Tumblr aims to improve how users discover and sign up, encourage frequent engagement, and boost creators’ ability to attract audiences. Specific changes mentioned include updating the confusing reply and reblog system to make conversations clearer and removing duplicate reblogs. Interestingly, the post does not discuss Tumblr’s plans to integrate with the ActivityPub protocol. Tumblr has had a turbulent history but has stabilized under its current ownership, though some long-time users may not want a more optimized social feed.

There’s a soft spot in my heart for Tumblr. I hope they find their way and become a bigger player.

• FIash Mob #5678@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s good to know.

Tumblr didn’t have a ton of curation tools back when I was a regular user, but Twitter did, so I ended up spending most of my time online there until October of last year. The incident where Elon Musk carried a sink to the office was all the info I needed to know Twitter was about to take a nosedive. Luckily I really enjoy the fediverse.

• Stormyfemme@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You can search through tags to find people but honestly i find reblog chains suitable for finding people i’m interested in after getting started with some fandom tags and other stuff.